Still possible to get Minerva ROM

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
bagpuss22
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Still possible to get Minerva ROM

Post by bagpuss22 »

HI there,

Is it still possible to get the Minerva ROM? I noticed that it was normally housed on an
adaptor, so wondered if this is possible to still purchase anywhere.

Thanks

BP

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Still possible to get Minerva ROM

Post by tofro »

Depends on what you want:

The latest commercial product that was available was Minerva Mk II, which didn't only include the new ROM, but also an implementation of battery back-up for the QL's real time clock and an I²C interface for automation and control, so was actually a hardware upgrade. I am pretty sure that is no longer available commercially as Tony has wound down his business.

The ROMs themselves (their contents) are still available as a download - How you get them onto an EPROM, however, is up to you. You only need someone to burn the chips for you and they should be a plug-in replacement for the original QL ROMs. Obviously, you would be missing the abovementioned hardware enhancements that Mk II provided. That would very much be that same thing that Minerva Mk I used to be.

http://tfs.firshman.co.uk/ql/minerva.htm

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

The adaptor is needed to fix the adress decoding for a 64kb EPROM. In my old QLs we actually did the same by clueing an SMD NAND chip on top of the EPROM plus some flying wires. Or you can for example buy the QL-SD interface, it also comes with a daugther board that does the same, so that's a plug'n'play solution

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Pre-Issue 6 QLs don't need such an adapter - They have jumpers on the mainboard allowing you to set the ROM/EPROM selection. The jumpers and ICs to replace for EPROM configuration are pointed out in the issue 5 schematic diagram.

The issue 6 PCB, however, did no longer have these jumpers and was a ROM-only configuration.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

mk79 wrote:The adaptor is needed to fix the adress decoding for a 64kb EPROM. In my old QLs we actually did the same by clueing an SMD NAND chip on top of the EPROM plus some flying wires. Or you can for example buy the QL-SD interface, it also comes with a daugther board that does the same, so that's a plug'n'play solution
The adaptor did not fix address decoding. It contained a registered GAL to facilitate the I2C and allow communication with the clock IC for the battery backed clock. I have 50 MK2 Minervas, but unfortunately I do not have the GAL code. The GAL was read-protected. Since it is a registered GAL and not simple combinational logic, I have been unable to recover or reconstruct the contents.

If anyone has a copy of the contents of the GAL code, I have 50 Minerva MKII with battery backed clock and I2C available immediately.

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi everyone

I would be very interested in procuring a couple of Minny MkII's if Dave can get his hands on the GAL equations!

Do the QView team still frequent these parts?

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Dave wrote:The adaptor did not fix address decoding. It contained a registered GAL to facilitate the I2C and allow communication with the clock IC for the battery backed clock. I have 50 MK2 Minervas
As the name implies that's Minerva MK2, not the original Minerva. The original Minerva board did not contain anything except the adresss decoder and the EPROM.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

martyn_hill wrote:Do the QView team still frequent these parts?
They left the scene 15 years ago or whatever.

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Pity :-( I love their products!

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Dave wrote:
mk79 wrote:The adaptor is needed to fix the adress decoding for a 64kb EPROM. In my old QLs we actually did the same by clueing an SMD NAND chip on top of the EPROM plus some flying wires. Or you can for example buy the QL-SD interface, it also comes with a daugther board that does the same, so that's a plug'n'play solution
The adaptor did not fix address decoding. It contained a registered GAL to facilitate the I2C and allow communication with the clock IC for the battery backed clock. I have 50 MK2 Minervas, but unfortunately I do not have the GAL code. The GAL was read-protected. Since it is a registered GAL and not simple combinational logic, I have been unable to recover or reconstruct the contents.

If anyone has a copy of the contents of the GAL code, I have 50 Minerva MKII with battery backed clock and I2C available immediately.
I am sure Tony Firshman would still have this code - otherwise someone would need to contact Laurence Reeves - he is still about somewhere... People only have to ask - I believe Tony sent the details of Minerva MKII to Dave some years ago to allow him to make up some new boards. I have no idea what sort of license was agreed.