QLAN-USB Adapter - working prototype...

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
martyn_hill
Aurora

Re: QLAN-USB Adapter - working prototype...

Post by martyn_hill »

I'm secretly one of THOSE sorts, too, Tim. Just haven't explored QL emulation much on *Nix yet...

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi everyone

Just a small update this week:

1. I tested connecting the QLUB adapter (as I'm calling it for now) via some Cat5 cabling spliced between the QLAN 3.5mm jack connectors to a remote QL to see what sort of distance could be managed.The Cat5 runs to about 10m in length and I saw no problems in sending/receiving. Just nice to know (nothing specifically to do with the QLUB adapter.) I'll try some longer lengths later...
2. I've been discussing with Martin Head his IPNet source code to see what I could leverage from his terrific efforts to streamline my own as I start to integrate the SMSQ/E/Tk2 NET code with the 'Message Queue handler' that forms the bridge between the microcontroller and the emulated QL. That should save some time figuring out all the dependencies in recompiling the Tk2 NET code.
3. Started work on coding the Message Queue handler in assembler... It was sooo much easier in SB!

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

martyn_hill wrote:Hi everyone

Just a small update this week:

1. I tested connecting the QLUB adapter (as I'm calling it for now) via some Cat5 cabling spliced between the QLAN 3.5mm jack connectors to a remote QL to see what sort of distance could be managed.The Cat5 runs to about 10m in length and I saw no problems in sending/receiving. Just nice to know (nothing specifically to do with the QLUB adapter.) I'll try some longer lengths later...
2. I've been discussing with Martin Head his IPNet source code to see what I could leverage from his terrific efforts to streamline my own as I start to integrate the SMSQ/E/Tk2 NET code with the 'Message Queue handler' that forms the bridge between the microcontroller and the emulated QL. That should save some time figuring out all the dependencies in recompiling the Tk2 NET code.
3. Started work on coding the Message Queue handler in assembler... It was sooo much easier in SB!
Great Job!!!

Hope to get in touch with it very soon ;)

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

martyn_hill wrote:Hi everyoneJust a small update this week:
1. I tested connecting the QLUB adapter (as I'm calling it for now) via some Cat5 cabling spliced between the QLAN 3.5mm jack connectors to a remote QL to see what sort of distance could be managed.The Cat5 runs to about 10m in length and I saw no problems in sending/receiving. Just nice to know (nothing specifically to do with the QLUB adapter.) I'll try some longer lengths later
Can you upload some photos? It would be great to see progress in images. :-)

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi afx

Well, there's really nothing much to look at right now, to be honest - the Teensy microcontroller sits on a breadboard with a few discreet components and connectors attached.

If I can figure out how to upload images to the forum, I'll do so later. Any advice?

M.

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Thanks to Rob H, I have now found the Attachment tab!

Here are a few pics - like I said - not much to look-at in its prototype form...

M.
QLUB_1.jpg
QLUB_2.jpg
QLUB_3.jpg
QLUB_4.jpg

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

Looks good, excellent work!

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

Great!

We are already waiting for the final product. :D

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

No pressure, then :-)

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Don't worry, Martyn. We'll take the pressure off with our alternate solution to this problem. ;)