QL Hard Disk 40MB from Miracle Systems

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Outsoft
Super Gold Card

QL Hard Disk 40MB from Miracle Systems

Post by Outsoft »

I found this QL Hard Drive in incredible good conditions!!!

Is boxed and seems never used.

I will soon test it and see how the Tony Tebby real HD driver works on my QL.

Someone got one too?

Thanks for all.

Best regards.
Attachments
IMG_11052017_100128_0.png
IMG_11052017_100139_0.png

dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: QL Hard Disk 40MB from Miracle Systems

Post by dilwyn »

In its time this was quite a remarkable product for the QL.

40MB not big capacity for modern hard disk system, but QL programs are fairly small so you can probably store a lot of QL software on it.

Let us know how you get on with it.

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

I used to have one of the early versions with a 30MB hard disk, back in 1989. Regrettably I sold it... :(

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

dilwyn wrote:In its time this was quite a remarkable product for the QL.

40MB not big capacity for modern hard disk system, but QL programs are fairly small so you can probably store a lot of QL software on it.

Hi,

I ran a BBS on a Miracle Hard Drive on a Gold Card QL with Hermes. Big enough for most software I had at the time.

The only problem I had, was that it very noisey due to the two fans cooling a large linear power supply, with toroidal transformer. Maybe could be replaced by a modern Switch Mode Power Supply.

I have a Miracle Hard drive without a IDE Card power cable, just need to get around to making it.

Regards,

Derek
janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Derek_Stewart wrote: I ran a BBS on a Miracle Hard Drive on a Gold Card QL with Hermes. Big enough for most software I had at the time.
Never managed to get a 'drive full' error :D
The only problem I had, was that it very noisey due to the two fans cooling a large linear power supply, with toroidal transformer. Maybe could be replaced by a modern Switch Mode Power Supply.
I remember that too. The voltage regulator had to drop too much voltage and became very hot. I could mitigate that by putting a big resistor in series so I could switch off the fan (my version had only one) so I could sleep :)
I have a Miracle Hard drive without a IDE Card power cable, just need to get around to making it.
Well back in 1989 IDE wasn't mainstream yet, most drives were MFM and needed an ST-506 compatible controller card (I guess Miracle's HD was one of them too). They might have switched to IDE once that became mainstream a few years later.

Jan.

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

Derek_Stewart wrote:
dilwyn wrote:In its time this was quite a remarkable product for the QL.

Hi,

I ran a BBS on a Miracle Hard Drive on a Gold Card QL with Hermes. Big enough for most software I had at the time.

I will test and If get really big noises I will send to you to mod it ;)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Outsoft wrote:I will test and If get really big noises I will send to you to mod it ;)
Hi,

Do not understand "mod it"

The Miracle Hard Drive is a very noisy system, I used to run it with the power supply separated from the Hard drive and HardCard Interface with the fans disconnected. The fan s are needed to reduce the heat from the big power supply within inches of the hard drive.

If I can remember correctly (1997-98 era), I replaced the Miracle Power Supply with an AT Power Supply.

Seemed to work OK, then Qubide appeared and everything was better.

Regards,

Derek
Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

Derek_Stewart wrote:
Outsoft wrote:I will test and If get really big noises I will send to you to mod it ;)
Hi,

The Miracle Hard Drive is a very noisy system, I used to run it with the power supply separated from the Hard drive and HardCard Interface with the fans disconnected. The fan s are needed to reduce the heat from the big power supply within inches of the hard drive.

If I can remember correctly (1997-98 era), I replaced the Miracle Power Supply with an AT Power Supply.

"Mod" I mean that you modify it well ;)

So this Hard Drive have his AC adpter internally on the BOX? Like the Miracle Dual Drive systems?

Thanks.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Outsoft wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote:
Hi,

So this Hard Drive have his AC adpter internally on the BOX? Like the Miracle Dual Drive systems?

Thanks.
Hi,

Not sure if I can modify it.

There is a large transformer coil in the steel case much larger than the Miracle Dual Drive systems.

Regards,

Derek
Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

Derek_Stewart wrote:
Outsoft wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote:
Hi,

Thanks.
Hi,

Not sure if I can modify it.

There is a large transformer coil in the steel case much larger than the Miracle Dual Drive systems.

Ok: I hope that If this unit is really new can works well too.

Thanks for all your precious help.