New QL backplane.

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: New QL backplane.

Post by Dave »

I've assembled a couple and done the needed testing. I also spent last night writing a manual. It is moderately cute, mildly amusing and horrendously terse. There are photos.

So now the long haul as I assemble and test TWENTY of them. That leaves EIGHT blank PCBs for those who want to install their own connectors - and save a bunch on shipping. Bare PCBs can go in regular mail.

I do recommend that people who want to assemble their own only install one through connector and one flip-back connector, as the middle row of holes is VERY tight! If these sell out I will order a second batch of PCBs with slightly bigger holes for that row. If that worries you, order from the next batch.

I'll put these for sale on Wednesday. They will ship same day. The delay is purely so I have assembled units on hand to ship right away.
On the left, a 2-card version, on the right a 3-card version.
On the left, a 2-card version, on the right a 3-card version.
As a heads up on price (I'm not looking to make a profit on these), my parts cost are:

With 2 thru connectors: $29 (which is apparently £22.50 or €26.00)
With 3 thru connectors: $36 (which is apparently £28.00 or €32.50)

Shipping to Europe parcel post is flat rate $13.50 £10.50 €12.25 up to half a pound (four backplanes). Within US is $5.

If you'd like just the PCB and manual, I can mail it first class letter. The PCB is $8.50 £6.56 €7.72 including 1st class mail worldwide. You'll need to provide your own DIN41612 connectors and vinyl.

All assembled backplanes ship with a detailed manual explaining assembly and installation, and a piece of vinyl.

Paul
Gold Card

Post by Paul »

I'd like to have three PCB only and don't care about the hole size. A single manual (or download) will be sufficient. PayPal for friends is ok?
Kind regards Paul

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Dave,

I am interested in your QL Backplane, I like to build electronic projects and I think have the capability to solder the QL Connectors.

Regards,

Derek
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I tell you what guy, I'll send you these ones, and if you find the connectors too tight a fit in the top row, I'll send you replacements from the next batch at no charge. Sound fair?

genetika
Over Heated PSU

Post by genetika »

Hi.
I'm interested on have one backplane fully assembled.... :)
With 3 thru connectors: $36 (which is apparently £28.00 or €32.50)

Thanks!
Genetika

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Hehe...

Before, I got burned by people taking advantage of the ever-changing exchange rates. The dollar was doing strange things. It cost me about 15% on some orders, which since I'm now doing this on a hobby/non-profit basis and I don't want to pad the prices.... best to just give the price in all three major currencies. If the dollar collapses again (thanks Trump!) I can adjust them.

I'm picking up a few small non-QL projects on a for-profit basis. Some profit quite handsomely, especially for the C64 - those fans be craycray! I have a small wodge of cash to fund the current work but when it runs out, I will need to make a living somehow.

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Dave wrote:Hehe...

Before, I got burned by people taking advantage of the ever-changing exchange rates. The dollar was doing strange things. It cost me about 15% on some orders, which since I'm now doing this on a hobby/non-profit basis and I don't want to pad the prices.... best to just give the price in all three major currencies. If the dollar collapses again (thanks Trump!) I can adjust them.

I'm picking up a few small non-QL projects on a for-profit basis. Some profit quite handsomely, especially for the C64 - those fans be craycray! I have a small wodge of cash to fund the current work but when it runs out, I will need to make a living somehow.
I would just give price in $ and let people figure out paypal/xe.com themselves :-D

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Then what happens is I say $30, for example, and I get the equivalent of $25.87 in some random currency. When I convert that to US$ they take another cut and I actually get $23.96, so I just lost $6.04. I either have to insist on just receiving $, and passing the exchange costs onto the person, or just make it easy and specify the cost in each currency.

I do buy DIN connectors from EU suppliers, mostly Germany. They take PayPal in € so that's ok and saves me two steps. I don't mind holding a € balance ;)

I dislike holding a £ balance, though. If I have one, I always end up buying something on SellMyRetro.com. DOH!

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

Hi Dave, great!

I am interested in two QL Backplanes fully assembled. One with 2 thru connector and the other with 3 connectors.

Kind regards afx

genetika
Over Heated PSU

Post by genetika »

Hi Dave.
$ or € or L. ..... tell me the amount you want... :D
Regards
M.