New QubATA driver for QUBIDE

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
dilwyn
Mr QL

New QubATA driver for QUBIDE

Post by dilwyn »

This is a complete new driver from Alain Haoui for QUBIDE cards fitted with the version 2 GAL chip upgrade. It can be installed in a ROM on the QUBIDE card, or LRESPRed into RAM as a _rext file. Both versions are included in the distribution. This is v3.06, and includes a new manual as a PDF file.

Several new and enhanced commands are inluded. Fast device detection, up to 16x2 devices (with Expander), full compliance with ATA/ATAPI-4 protocol and removable media support, full Trashcan and associated utilities, enhanced direct raw access and "alien" devices support, CD Data support and Audio playing set commands (largely compatible with those in QPC2 - audio is played via the CD drive panel), optimised and working slave blocks buffering with various sizes (up to 64 sectors per block) without side effects.

Full unsigned arithmetic allowing big partitions/files up to 2GBytes, the largest for the QDOS FS with this driver.

IMPORTANT: Only works on QUBIDE cards with v2 GAL chips. Also, not yet fully tested on the newer integrated QUBIDEs.

Download it from the QL ROMs page http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/qlrom/index.html#Qubide on my website (note: 946KB download)
QubATA1.jpg

genetika
Over Heated PSU

Re: New QubATA driver for QUBIDE

Post by genetika »

Hi.
How do I can check if I have GAL2 chips?
I have the new QUBIDE (no passthrough connector) with RAM Expansion and an old one (with the passthrough connector).

Help :-)

M.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Contact the QubATA author, Alain Haoui, or the person who supplied you the Qubide. I can't answer any questions on this at all.

The best "suggestion" I can give is the Qubide version number shown on startup, if it is 1.xx it's likely to be a version 1 GAL 1/GAL 2 chipset, but since Qubide 2.xx needed GAL2 upgrade, that's the closest I can come to an answer, sorry.

I have no idea where to get the upgrade chips from, last I knew was Q-Branch when still trading. Looking at the Q-Branch version 2 update sheet, i says that the version 2 GAL 1 and GAL 2 chips might be labelled GAL1A and GAL2A.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Here is a photo of my original Qubbesoft version 1 Qubide, with the Q-Branch v2 eprom and GAL1A and GAL2A chips added, in case this helps identify the original Qubide types at least.
Qubide2.jpg

HAOUI
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by HAOUI »

Dilwyn is right. If your actual qubide driver is V2.xx, GALs are probably V2.
If it is 1.xx, it may be Yes or it may be No.

Anyway, Qubata driver will check GALs on startup and will simply complain and not load if not Ok. It will destroy nothing.
It is enough easy to try, simply lrespr rext file and watch messages on channel #0

Regards,
Alain

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Sounds like a great driver with lots of new features :)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Thank you Alain, that was a very helpful reply. It is good to know that it can be checked just by LRESPRing the new driver to check and watch messages without causing harm.

klausfrank
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by klausfrank »

Hi,
I have tried to implement the QubATA. I used the software first, BUT it fail'ed - well it tested for the GAL - the answer was surpisingly wrong GALs and/or Qubide not recognised. The GALs are the A types and the rom is version 2.01. Strange. Any suggestions ???
But it looks very good according to the manual.
Regards
Klaus

HAOUI
Bent Pin Expansion Port

uh Re: New QubATA driver for QUBIDE

Post by HAOUI »

You have probably omitted to set the qubide address in the config block within the rext file.
Ram version couldn't guess the jumpers setting for your config. Please refer to manual.
Regards

HAOUI
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by HAOUI »

For people who can't remember their Qubide jumpers setting, you can load my monitor for Qubide program from Dilwyn site (QL ROMs page). Simply run the program, the Qubide address will be shown at the upper left corner in hexa notation as it must be typed (without $ sign) in config block within the qubata rext file.