QL Expansion Bus

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
RWAP
RWAP Master

QL Expansion Bus

Post by RWAP »

There seems a need for some more QPlanes (or maybe a new expansion bus) - were the designs for QPlane ever released, or is this something which might benefit from a brand new design?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QL Expansion Bus

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Rich,

I have a Qplane which could be copied easily into a CAD programme.

But the best route is Mplane, which is much better for the QL, but Tony sent all the Mplane parts to Texas. I have an Mplane also could be copied into a CAD programme.

Regards,

Derek
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Whilst QPlane could be copied into a CAD program - what is the copyright position on that?

The design rights have presumably lapsed now (not sure when it was last sold)

Would an mPlane be suitable for use on an original QL (eg for people who have one of the new QubIDE clones without a through connector and a Trump Card or Gold Card) ? It might need a cable - but I think the low profile would mean it would have to be a long way outside of the QL to fit the cards....

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

RWAP wrote:Whilst QPlane could be copied into a CAD program - what is the copyright position on that?
Doubtful copyright applies here, and even if it does a simple change of layout would negate that!

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

RWAP wrote:Whilst QPlane could be copied into a CAD program - what is the copyright position on that?

The design rights have presumably lapsed now (not sure when it was last sold)

Would an mPlane be suitable for use on an original QL (eg for people who have one of the new QubIDE clones without a through connector and a Trump Card or Gold Card) ? It might need a cable - but I think the low profile would mean it would have to be a long way outside of the QL to fit the cards....
Hi Rich,

I doubt the Qplane Idea would work on a Orriginal QL, as the Qplane was designed for mounting a QL board in a PC Case.

To work in a QL Case, the expansion connector on the Expansion Back Plane (EPLANE - Name Change due Copyright issues) would have to extend to the other edge of the of the QL Case, a new housing for the Expansion cards would be required.

Alot of work and would make it look a little untidy.

How about an internal Expansion port connecting to the CPU & 8301 sockets, I did a paper drawing years ago to connect a QSound board, there are some missing lines and extra wiring would be needed.

Regards,

Derek
Paul
Gold Card

Post by Paul »

I had a quick look at mplane and qplane.
Both seem to be simple busses without drivers on them.
Wouldn't it be better if a solution with bus drivers would be used?
I am thinking about a card with drivers that fits inside the QL (extending to the end of the case) and then something like mplane giving two or more slots above each other and a case with guide rails (if that is the expression used for something that keeps the inserted cards in position so they don't move up and down).
kind regards Paul

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Paul wrote:I had a quick look at mplane and qplane.
Both seem to be simple busses without drivers on them.
Wouldn't it be better if a solution with bus drivers would be used?
I am thinking about a card with drivers that fits inside the QL (extending to the end of the case) and then something like mplane giving two or more slots above each other and a case with guide rails (if that is the expression used for something that keeps the inserted cards in position so they don't move up and down).
kind regards Paul
That sounds a good option - but the case makes it expensive. I guess bus drivers are required....

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Note the QL bus is seriously bi-directional and (if you consider cards like the Gold and Super Goldcards, which is a must, I think) seriously DMA. This does imply bi-directional bus drivers and direction control.

If we are talking about a bus card that is connected not directly to the left of the QL, extending its lenth infinitely, but rather over considerable length of wire, bus drivers will be essential, though.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Basically for BBQL without a new case something like this

ImageDSC_0124 by XorA, on Flickr

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Looks mostly harmless.

But if you consider three reasonably long ("high") plugged cards to the left of your keyboard, I'd fear it looks like a serious nuisance on the desk.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO