QL on MIST FPGA board

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
thorsinclair
Trump Card

Re: QL on MIST FPGA board

Post by thorsinclair »

Regarding file transfer: as there is the arm chip doing interface and drivers stuff couldn't files be transfered by a network protocol from a file server (FTP?)?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

tofro wrote:We have discussed this: Hermes (without the Super) would probably not be much of a problem (the 8049 ROM would simply have to be replaced - But is still copyrighted to my knowledge). SuperHermes is based on a PiC, would be more work.

The usefulness of both is, however, a bit doubtful.

MiST fixes most if not all of the keyboard issues *Hermes was addressing by using a USB keyboard (except maybe the optional keyclick...).
The serial port fixes *Hermes introduced lack a bit of usefulness without a serial port on the MiST ;)

Tobias
The Hermes code was a debugged version of the original 8049 code by Laurence Reeves.

To quote Tony Firshman web page (http://tfs.firshman.co.uk/ql/hermes.htm):

The Sinclair QL's second processor - the Intelligent Peripheral Controller (IPC 8049) handles sound, serial input and keyboard input. The internal code of the 8049 suffers a number of problems, some fatal.

- Serial input suffers from bad handshaking which can result in at best loss of characters, and at worst 'serial overrun' (input out of step with screen) which can only be cured with a power down.

- Keyboard handling Key rollover doesn't work and some keyboards, especially the Schoen and Keyboards Products, suffer from keybounce. There is a 'debounce' 8749 available, but this destroys serial input.

- Baud rates Independent baud rates are not possible. Input at 9600bps requires 2 stop bits, and 19200 input is impossible.

- Sound 'Fuzzy' and 'Random' on sound shift the underlying pitch. Sound duration is dependent on pitch.

All the above problems are cured by Hermes

- No keyboard bounce
- Two key rollover, even with SHIFT
- Fully reliable serial input up to 19200bps - use any modem without Qconnect (This assumes that the input/output buffers (ICs 25/ 26) are fully functional, and that handshaking is enabled at both ends and connected).
- Code to handle spare input/output lines. One of these is used by the Qview capsled kit.
- Different baud rates for each ser1 and ser2 input line, and separate from output. This can be used to drive a serial mouse (ser2) and printer (ser1) at the same time. Open/closed status of serial ports can be read.
- Keyclick can be toggled on and off.
- Function to return IPC version number.
- Fitting is a simple job - simply remove the top of the QL (8 screws) and replace the IC marked '8049' next to microdrive 1. A small file is RESPRed for the extended features.

Regards,

Derek
Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

Ah yes, I haven't thought about that. Does this run under QPC2?

NB: Ok, just read everything and realized, that the FDI driver is compatible with EMT4WIN images and runs under QPC 2 v3. Great work, thank you!
Martin_Head wrote:There is also the FDI drivers that support floppy disk images from 360k to 3.2M. Available on Dilwyn Jones's web site.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

If Tony Firshman / Laurence can be persuaded to make the Hermes code available for use with emulators - how easy would it be to implement (and what format do you need the code in?)

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

The question is rather - What would it be good for?

None of the emulators I know suffers the problems (Super)Hermes is aiming to solve.

Serial Ports work well on all the Emus that implement them
Keyboards work reasonably well on all Emulators

If someone could be persuaded to re-fabricate the original Super Hermes though, that could help a lot of people to working serial ports and keyboards on the original box.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

RWAP wrote:If Tony Firshman / Laurence can be persuaded to make the Hermes code available for use with emulators - how easy would it be to implement (and what format do you need the code in?)
I have already asked Tony about the Superhermes source code, I wanted to make it work with Sernet.

But they do not want to release the code or the copyright...

Regards,

Derek
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

tofro wrote:The question is rather - What would it be good for?

None of the emulators I know suffers the problems (Super)Hermes is aiming to solve.

Serial Ports work well on all the Emus that implement them
Keyboards work reasonably well on all Emulators

If someone could be persuaded to re-fabricate the original Super Hermes though, that could help a lot of people to working serial ports and keyboards on the original box.

Tobias
I guess it might improve the sound which has some bugs in the original 8049 code.... Probably not much use for anything else within an emulator. I would guess that the code could be made available on a limited basis (ie for emulators) if it is required...

genetika
Over Heated PSU

Post by genetika »

Hi.
I would like to buy the MIST FPGA card.

what is the "development" situation now ?
Could we use the MIST FPGA to emulate a Sinclair QL ?
Which hardware is supported ( SuperGoldCard, SuperHermes, Minerva, TK2, ... ).
Are floppy image supported ?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Massimino :D

QLvsJAGUAR
Gold Card

Post by QLvsJAGUAR »

Last weekend I had the chance to try out the FPGA based computer MIST at the EJAGFEST 2015. After downloading the QL core I’ve explored quite a bit of it. See my results in this video:
https://youtu.be/1VfFaG_XesU

Just awesome this MIST, I will definitely buy one!

QL forever and Jag rules!
Urs

QL forever!
https://www.sinclairql.net/ - Go and get THE DISTRIBUTION & QL/E!
https://www.youtube.com/QLvsJAGUAR/community - Blog
https://www.youtube.com/QLvsJAGUAR - Dedicated QL videos
Sinclair, QL, ATARI, JAGUAR, NUON, APPLE, NeXT, MiST & much more...
Videos, pictures & information
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Urs,

Excellent video, I am saving up for a MIST machine.

Regards,

Derek