QL on MIST FPGA board

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
XorA
Site Admin

Re: QL on MIST FPGA board

Post by XorA »

tofro wrote: I'd rather not see a Q40/60 emulated for some reasons but instead a QL with SGC(-alike) and Aurora. This would keep the option to have a "switchable" upgrade path (by just ticking config boxes in menus) and both SMSQ/E and classic QL ROMS. One single implementation would be capable of having both a low end QL with only 128k and micro drive as well as a High-End 68020-based box with Hi-Res Multicolor Graphics.
I am totally unfamiliar with Aurora, that works too!

thorsinclair
Trump Card

Post by thorsinclair »

One single implementation would be capable of having both a low end QL with only 128k and micro drive as well as a High-End 68020-based box with Hi-Res Multicolor Graphics.

Judging from the amount of people giving feedback here, I do, however not see a lot of interest...... (Please, guys, prove me wrong, even if it's summer holidays!!!)
This would be a great achievement and setup which I'm certainly would be very interested in! I always wanted an Aurora QL or a Q40/60 but this seems to be a good alternative which is also open for future developments like USB and Ethernet. Nice, very nice!

thorsinclair
Trump Card

Post by thorsinclair »

... forgot to ask if it would be possible to place the MiST Board into the original QL case?

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

thorsinclair wrote:... forgot to ask if it would be possible to place the MiST Board into the original QL case?
A single-glance, rough check says: Should fit.

But: The microdrives are mapped to the SD-Card slot, keyboard and mouse are USB, all the connectors would be in the wrong places and need re-wiring. (And the QL takes up much more desk space than the tiny neat MiST box).

And you would have to solve the problem that the QL Keyboard does not fit into the MiST's USB port....
- But others have done that before

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
thorsinclair
Trump Card

Post by thorsinclair »

A single-glance, rough check says: Should fit.

But: The microdrives are mapped to the SD-Card slot, keyboard and mouse are USB, all the connectors would be in the wrong places and need re-wiring. (And the QL takes up much more desk space than the tiny neat MiST box).

And you would have to solve the problem that the QL Keyboard does not fit into the MiST's USB port....
- But others have done that before
OK, than it's time for a new case :D 8-)
I think Urs had something very original in this regard ...

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Before you sttart ripping your QLs apart :D , check here:
http://www.harbaum.org/till/mist/pcb.pdf
(Original size MiST PCB layout)

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
MIST
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by MIST »

tofro wrote:Before you sttart ripping your QLs apart :D , check here:
http://www.harbaum.org/till/mist/pcb.pdf
(Original size MiST PCB layout)
Tobias
That's the old prototype board. The series board is documented here:
https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki/Board13

MIST
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by MIST »

New video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVKXTzqTFFU

QL on MIST FPGA. Using 640k RAM and running Minerva + Toolkit 2 from ROM. Loading Pointer Environment and Crazy Cards from Microdrive-Image. The QIMI mouse imlementation uses the USB touchpad of the K400 keyboard connected wireless to the MIST.

And last but not least this happens on a regular TV using the SCART input as the scandoubler required for VGA can be disabled for use with TV sets.

Next i'll take a look at the QL-SD. I find the source code of the ROM image. But i don't see the compiled ROM. Does one of you have the QL-SD ROM? Either with prepended OS ROM or without ...

thorsinclair
Trump Card

Post by thorsinclair »

Great video. I'm impressed by the development speed - compliments! Regarding the QL SD Paul and Peter are may the best people to speak with.

MIST
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by MIST »

I got the rom. Thanks