Qubide clone

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
jose_leandro
ROM Dongle

Re: Qubide clone

Post by jose_leandro »

Hi
vanpeebles wrote:There is definitely nothing touching anything else apart from the two outer pins but I'll see if I can find some smaller wire.
I don't think that this wire was the new problem.

You told before but I think you need check some voltage in some points of the system to know if we are doing the right things. If you don't have a tester I expect you a friend that can help you.

I probably do these tests:

- Quit the wire and test the qubide with a standard QL. We need know if the qubide works and if it works with your QL.

if it works well
- Put qubide+qplane+QL (the qubide without the wire) and check that voltage it has in pin 1 of 7805. Like it didn't work, we thought that we have +5v instead +9v but now we must be sure.
- If you see +5v then the wire is necessary. In pin3 you will see lower vcc.
- I think you told us but your qubide should not have the 512k expansion . I'm sure that other board has its own ram expansion and you can't have 2 expansion together.

if it works well
- Then we can think there is an incompatibility within the qubide and one extra board.

Bye

José Leandro

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

OK :) I'll report back with my findings, might be next week :)

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Well I've refitted the Qubide into my white QL with the wire removed and the memory chip plus gal fitted and everything seems ok. No freezes or lock ups :)

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Ok with a meter it was around 5.4v on the input and just over 3v on the output. I'll redo the solder with some better wire I found!

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Woohoo I think it's working. Not crashed once yet touch wood. Reading 5v on pin 1 and pin 3 now. I did get one read 0 error when the qubide was initialising. But it's ran fine other than that. Just got psion chess on running.

Spoke too soon, freezing again and now wont detect the qubide on restart :( I'll just have to stick with using the clone on the black box ql :)

lucaseve
ROM Dongle

Post by lucaseve »

Hi!,

I'd like to order one for the next batch. :)
Please let me know if I should do something else other than post a request here.
Thank you!

Luca Severini

lowrybt
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by lowrybt »

Hello,

If you produce another batch, I would like to order one unit.

Regards,

Tom Blum

jose_leandro
ROM Dongle

Post by jose_leandro »

Hello

Habi has passed me a new version of "Image Editor" PC software . It has some little improves and now there is a English version.

The new software is available in :

http://hardware.speccy.org/temp/qubide-i.html

Documentation section

I will update the tutorials soon.

By the way. Some Spanish guys asked me about make more Qubide and may be there are some people interested here. I'll open a new post in For sale to know it and make me an idea.

Bye

José Leandro

jose_leandro
ROM Dongle

Post by jose_leandro »

Hi

Ranma_Simon make me some interesting questions and one of them was if there are QL emulators that support qubide raw image.

My answer was no, there aren't. Most ql emulator I know support qlx.win hard disc image that have different format ( I think).

I know that there is a emulator that support sinclair QL and the qubide interface. It is mess emulator. The problem was that 1.56 mess version support sinclair ql + 640k ram + rom cartridge but not qubide and 1.59 mess version support qubide but not work very well and only emulate 128K ram.

Any other emulator? is possible contact with q-emulator , uqlx, qlay, etc authors to see if they can support this interface?

Bye

José Leandro

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Qemulator techincally does as there is a plugin to use QL-SD images. They are the same as Qubide images but big endian instead of little.

Its a simple few lines of code to convert back and forth!