MY ICE Desktop System is almost complete bar one bit of software left that is some office software

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
simon629
Bent Pin Expansion Port

MY ICE Desktop System is almost complete bar one bit of software left that is some office software

Post by simon629 »

MY ICE Desktop system is almost complete bar one I think missing some Office Software I hope to Find it one day OK Thanks Simon Foster
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-06-24 at 09.27.32.png

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Re: MY ICE Desktop System is almost complete bar one bit of software left that is some office software

Post by Outsoft »

I love it too but is almost incompatible with my Winny Hard Drive so I've removed from my QL desktop some moths ago :-(

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: MY ICE Desktop System is almost complete bar one bit of software left that is some office software

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Simone,

What are the incompatibities you talk anout.

Regards,

Derek
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

What is the long coloured bar at the bottom of ICE??

dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

vanpeebles wrote:What is the long coloured bar at the bottom of ICE??
The MENU bar.

Some systems have it on the top of screen (Mac OS), other somewhere else, and the best (QL) on the bottom. :)

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi Simone,

What are the incompatibities you talk anout.
Ice Rom don't detect "WIN" drives but only MDV/FLP and RAM.

It have an autorun routine that all the time pre-load the content in rom instead the autoboot of the Winny / FLP/MDV so you can't also let it start win some WIN_USE or something else.

It was too old for let it be used with a winchester drive ;)

Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

No, ICE came much later than the first WIN drives. And just look at the sectors on the photo, this can't be any MDV :D

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Ralf R. wrote:No, ICE came much later than the first WIN drives. And just look at the sectors on the photo, this can't be any MDV :D
I guess Simone means that the device names provided on screen are only FLP and RAM - no WIN device is shown so you need to use WIN_USE mdv for example... I can't remember whether any of hte ICE versions show the WIN device.....

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

RWAP wrote:
Ralf R. wrote:No, ICE came much later than the first WIN drives. And just look at the sectors on the photo, this can't be any MDV :D
I guess Simone means that the device names provided on screen are only FLP and RAM - no WIN device is shown so you need to use WIN_USE mdv for example... I can't remember whether any of hte ICE versions show the WIN device.....
Exactly Rich ;)

But as you know the Winny have is boot file that need to set "WIN_USE" and "DATA_USE" before that the ICE rom will start.

Unfortunately the ICE rom all the time boot before every other system that is connected (FLP/WIN/ROM) and so there is no way to use it at the QL power up.

So I've preferred to remove it and next I will try to use Launchpad or QTrans of Dilwyn ;)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Simone,

A new device can be added to the ICE system by selecting the CUSTOM option on the desktop.

I uded use ICE ROM on a Trump card QL with Miracle Hard Drive. The ICE system boots first, then the next boot device. In this case WINNIE.

I think you need read the ICE user manual.

The only problem wiyh ICE is it does not know about level 2 device drivers. That is sub directories. But I think that has been solved with an updated Trump Card ROM.

Back in 1992ish, I used Minvera multibasic and the WIN2 command to read directories.

I will see if my old ICE Rom still works. I modified the mouse connections to use an Atari mouse. Because the ICE mouse was damaged.

Regards,

Derek