QPC2 goes Black

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
Martin_Head
Aurora

QPC2 goes Black

Post by Martin_Head »

If I start a copy of QPC2 (V4.05), then start another copy of QPC2 (V3.30)

The 4.05 one's window goes black. And I loose all control of QPC2. I get the same if I try it the other way round.

Is this a known issue with Windows 10, as I did not have any problems running two versions with Windows XP?

I seem to be able to run two copies of V4.04 at the same time, without problems. (not tried V4.05)

I don't think that either copy is trying to share QXL.WIN files, but they are trying to share the same DOS device folders.

Martin

BSJR
Trump Card

Re: QPC2 goes Black

Post by BSJR »

Martin_Head wrote:If I start a copy of QPC2 (V4.05), then start another copy of QPC2 (V3.30)
The 4.05 one's window goes black. And I loose all control of QPC2. I get the same if I try it the other way round.
Is this a known issue with Windows 10, as I did not have any problems running two versions with Windows XP?
I seem to be able to run two copies of V4.04 at the same time, without problems. (not tried V4.05)
I don't think that either copy is trying to share QXL.WIN files, but they are trying to share the same DOS device folders.
Are you sure it's the 3.30 that turns the 4.05 to black?
I have black QPC2's occasionally (in W$7) when I wake them from the taskbar after the screensaver has been to black.
There is no clear reason why this happens sometimes but mostly not. A W$ reset will usually fix it.
One point to bear in mind is that v4 uses a qpc.ini file which is by default placed in /ProgramData/QPC/.
To start multiple copies of QPC2 I have given each of them their own subdir with a copy of qpc.ini so each can be differently configured.

Sharing QXL.win files should not be the problem. The second QPC2 may hijack the .win but that can be solved by issuing "WIN_REMV n" in each boot so drive n can be shared by both. This does not work with SMSQmulator (yet).

Bob

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Toggling Shift+Ctrl+F12 works for me

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

BSJR wrote:Are you sure it's the 3.30 that turns the 4.05 to black?
I have black QPC2's occasionally (in W$7) when I wake them from the taskbar after the screensaver has been to black.
There is no clear reason why this happens sometimes but mostly not. A W$ reset will usually fix it.
I also had problems with QPC2 crashing when the screensaver came in http://qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1916
I ended up just turning off the screensaver.

I'm not sure I get the problem all the time, But the day I was trying it . I started a copy of V4.05 OK.; Started V3.30, V4.05 went black. Closed V4.05. Started a V4.04, and the V3.30 went black.

I did not try rebooting the PC.