sQLux

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
XorA
Site Admin

sQLux

Post by XorA »

ImageScreenshot 2017-03-12 23.44.40 by XorA, on Flickr

So whats this then?

Its what happens when I take the uQlx codebase, replace the X windows handling with SDL2, hack around a bit, and try it on windows.

The codebase is actually quite usable on Linux but still needs some work on Windows side.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Re: sQLux

Post by mk79 »

Nice. Only a few days ago I had a closer look at SDL, too, because QPC is still based on DirectDraw 3 (so an NT/95 era API) and support for that seems to vanish. Unfortunately SDL on Windows is based on plain GDI and software scaling, so it looks worse than what I already have :( The search for a usable 2D API with reasonably fast pixel access on Windows continues...

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

mk79 wrote:Nice. Only a few days ago I had a closer look at SDL, too, because QPC is still based on DirectDraw 3 (so an NT/95 era API) and support for that seems to vanish. Unfortunately SDL on Windows is based on plain GDI and software scaling, so it looks worse than what I already have :( The search for a usable 2D API with reasonably fast pixel access on Windows continues...
Are you sure thats correct for SDL2? It seems to have options for bilinear or anistropic scaling depending on the GL/DirectX backend used!

I hadn't dug that deeply yet as I wanted to just make the damn thing work first.

tcat
Super Gold Card

Post by tcat »

Hi Graemme,

Just trying to catch up with the last work on `uQLx' of yours. May I ask what is the difference between `uQLx-fork' and `sQLux' branches.

I guess that one with `s' is based on SDL lib to port on Windows.

Generally I still use one of the old `x86' versions from Richard.Z, plus its newer `ARM' port by Tobias.

The `x86' version I got also supports Minerva ROM.

If I wish to stick to ARM and x86(still needed because of legacy hardware), what fork is right for me, *ux based ?

Many thanks
Tomas

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

tcat wrote:Hi Graemme,

Just trying to catch up with the last work on `uQLx' of yours. May I ask what is the difference between `uQLx-fork' and `sQLux' branches.
If your a pure user I would stick with uqlx-fork, its based off Tobias changes with x86_64 and arm64 support added.

sQLux is where I am playing with more controversial changes.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Oh my giddy aunt! Controversial?

tcat
Super Gold Card

Post by tcat »

Hi,

There used to be some `Tool' for *ux, that would allow `uQLx' handle directories of the host file system.
Cannot remember what it was.

Tomas

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

tcat wrote:Hi,

There used to be some `Tool' for *ux, that would allow `uQLx' handle directories of the host file system.
Cannot remember what it was.

Tomas
Look in the utils/ directory ;-)