Byte Back

A place to discuss general QL issues.
RWAP
RWAP Master

Byte Back

Post by RWAP »

Does anyone know anything about Byte Back that used to advertise software for the QL - they published Quest for the Dragon Sword for the QL, and a few other titles for the Amiga and Atari.
They were NOT the same company as Byte Back which produced interfaces for the ZX81 unfortunately (as I am in contact with them)....

RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: Byte Back

Post by RWAP »

According to a letter in the QL Adventurers Forum 4, Quest for the Dragonsword was written by Ian Foot, Malcolm Johnson and Ian Ward - originally written on the Spectrum and then transferred across to the QL.

Malcolm Johnson
ROM Dongle

Post by Malcolm Johnson »

We wrote Quest for the DragonSword when we were about 18 or 19 years old, back in 1987. Ian Ward and Ian Foot were school friends. I thought the game had vanished into oblivion. Did anyone actually play the game?

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Welcome Malcolm - I definitely played it and quite enjoyed it at the time - I was a subscriber to QL Adventurers Forum and enjoyed playing all of the QL adventures.

I then got involved in testing/reviews and writing software for CGH Services and myself and continue to support the QL today (as RWAP Software).

I have since been in touch with Ric Millen who ran Byte Back and he has recently given his permission for it to be re-released, so I would like to add it to the series of box-sets which I am releasing (I have released 7 so far!)

By the way, do you have a copy of the inlay so that we could add it to the QL Wiki -
http://www.rwapadventures.com/ql_wiki/i ... rd&lang=en

If you have any other comments on the entry, please pm me with details and I will update it.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Welcome to the forum! It's great to see old game authors returning :)

Malcolm Johnson
ROM Dongle

I would love to play the adventure again myself. I have just seen your website. Did you get to the very end of the adventure and complete it?

Malcolm Johnson
ROM Dongle

vanpeebles wrote:Welcome to the forum! It's great to see old game authors returning :)
I don't consider myself a game author, to be honest, but thanks. Having said that, I did write all by myself a game called Insect for the Spectrum, which was like Pacman but with an insect that never stopped moving and had to be maneuvered through ten levels of mazes without hitting moving walls and other hazards. But I didn't market it and that's definitely lost forever. It even had high score tables and sound and sprites - the lot. It was fun to write.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

What was Quest For Dragonsword written in? :)

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I have sent you a pm - of course I am happy to supply you with a copy of the game to play :D

I never did manage to complete it as far as I recall....

Malcolm Johnson
ROM Dongle

vanpeebles wrote:What was Quest For Dragonsword written in? :)
Gibberish, mostly.

We originally wrote it on the Spectrum, then my friend Ian Foot tried to rewrite it in assembly language on the QL, but I believe we eventually just used something called Quill.