New home wanted for stack of PCW magazines

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

New home wanted for stack of PCW magazines

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Hi,

Does anyone want to take a stack of popular Computing Weekly magazines off my hands? My wife has made it plain that I have altogether too much "old junk" (ouch, hurtful) and that some must go.

Well, the QL World collection isn't going anywhere, nor the Micro Adventurer one, nor the Sinclair User, Your Computer, New Computer Express, OS/2 World .... yikes! she has a point.

So anyway, this collection is of assorted mags from the mid 1980s to early 1990s. Plenty of QL items contained within, including for example a two page review of the Thor, a lengthy interview with Clive Sinclair in 1990, etc.

Price: Free.

I don't want to go through the hassle of posting them, as it's really a rather bulky collection and postage would be horrendously expensive. However, if anyone is in the Bath environs or passing through at some stage and wants them, please let me know so we can arrange a collection.

Alternatively, if you want them Dilwyn for the preservation efforts, the nearest I can get to you is Porthcawl where my in-laws live. Not exactly close, but maybe you know somebody locally who can hold them for you? It would not be for a couple of months though in that case I should think as I don't think we have any trips to Wales planned anytime soon.

It would be nice if it did go to someone who had the time to scan the QL bits and make them available publicly. (but not a pre-requisite of course)

Note the ZX Spectrum and monitor in the picture are not included! :D

(I was not sure which forum to post this on - mods feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place)
Attachments
IMG_20180406_1201470.jpg

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: New home wanted for stack of PCW magazines

Post by dilwyn »

Sparrowhawk wrote:Does anyone want to take a stack of popular Computing Weekly magazines off my hands? My wife has made it plain that I have altogether too much "old junk" (ouch, hurtful) and that some must go.
<snip>
Alternatively, if you want them Dilwyn for the preservation efforts, the nearest I can get to you is Porthcawl where my in-laws live. Not exactly close, but maybe you know somebody locally who can hold them for you? It would not be for a couple of months though in that case I should think as I don't think we have any trips to Wales planned anytime soon.

It would be nice if it did go to someone who had the time to scan the QL bits and make them available publicly. (but not a pre-requisite of course)
Strangely enough I went through exatly this with my old collection of Popular Computing Weekly (and Personal Computing News/Home Computing Weekly, the other weekly titles back at that time) and got rid of most of them in the interests of domestic harmony.

What I did at the time was rip out QL-related pages and kept them in a plastic box in the attic in the hope of one day scanning them, which needless to say never happened, although I live in hope that one day (probably when retired!) I will have time to do exactly this as the plastic box is still there ;)

From time to time I get the scanner out and scan some articles, there is a skeleton of a page to start adding such articles to... you sent me some magazine QL cutouts (Computer Shopper?) toscan a few years ago and they are still here half done, some scanned, some not. One day I may surprise myself and activate this page :oops:

Porthcawl is pretty much the diametrically opposite end of Wales, about 5 hours away from me, so no chance there, sorry!

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Oh yes, I remember the Computer Shopper ones i sent you. heh - I don't blame you, scanning is no fun.

Having said that, I may do the same as you did and go through the QL pages and tear them out. I could send you just those so you could compare what you have and don't have and fill in any blanks if you liked.

Assuming nobody wants these intact of course.

I'll wait a couple of days over the weekend, and then if no one shouts, that's their fate.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

When you say Bath, I presume you mean Bath in BANES?

I live a mere 33 miles away, so could collect and save them ;)

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have scanners and software to scan the magzines.

I used to buy all the magazines you have, but never kept them.

Regards,

Derek
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Hi Mark, yes BANES, although we're actually a few miles east of the city, just across the border in Wiltshire (only about 10 minutes further on if you're coming from the west). PM me for details .

Derek, not sure where you live, but hopefully you can liaise with Mark as it would be great if the mags could be scanned for posterity.

JY

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Hi Sparrowhawk / JY and Derek

@Derek - if you want to scan any/all of the magazines, I've got no problem with that. Whereabouts are you? I live not far from Bristol.

I have a basic flat bed scanner, so could scan the occasional article or feature, but I don't have enough spare time to scan entire magazines, as using my basic set-up is too time consuming.

I too used to read PCW. The paperboy loved me, he used to read it before posting it through the letterbox :lol:
But I never kept them. A small handful somehow survived though.

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Mark,

I live in Cheshire, too far to collect.

Regards,

Derek
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Mark has just collected the magazines. Hopefully many happy hours of nostalgic reading there :)

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Sparrowhawk wrote:Mark has just collected the magazines. Hopefully many happy hours of nostalgic reading there :)
Hopefully he'll trace his paperboy and offer to let him read them again after all these years :geek: