QL 34th Anniversary new hardware.

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Re: QL 34th Anniversary new hardware.

Post by Peter »

Dave wrote:I'm making some changes to the Q68 Wifi dongle.
If you change it anyway, I'd like to remind of the possibility to power the dongle from the 5V of the corresponding Q68 SER handshake lines.
As the Q68 comes, the resistors on the Q68 PCB protecting those lines are too large, but they can be changed by an average tinkerer.
This solution would be nicer than an extra power supply.

Whopper
Over Heated PSU

Post by Whopper »

Dave wrote:I've made some modifications to respin the 4MB SuperRAM board.

I've re-positioned the GALs and CPU so they can all be socketed. I've moved some passives to better supply the ICs. Nasta has redesigned the logic to make it more flexible, which also required a track change. Finally, we inserted a missing track segment we were bridging with a wire. I'll be ordering the V0.2 PCBs on Friday next week. It's possible they'll go right through testing that weekend and be ready sometime the week after.
Dave,

I really would like one of these boards. Please reserve one for me.

Whopper

You woke me for THAT!!!
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Please put me down for a SuperRAM Board.
I'm not even trying to keep track yet. I'll make a list like you do, but I'll only do it once I have them manufactured and in stock. I don't want to disappoint people like last time.
Derek_Stewart wrote:What sort of browser, text, Lynx works or graphic, maybe the Prowess browser could be adapted.
I was thinking something super simple - just text, hotlinks, download of QL files that are zipped to a download folder..
Derek_Stewart wrote:Do I need to get a Sam Coupe....
No! For one, they're ridiculously expensive. However, they're an interesting machine in their own right. As development started on the bench next to mine and I got to see the process and take part in the input of ideas, I know that it's not just a super-Spectrum - it's a Spectrum/QL hybrid. One of my little irritations was that the liked the DIN41612 sockets (no ram pack wobble!) but I told them about how often I saw QLs in the shop with bent pins, because Sinclair thought that the female DIN connector was more durable, and the male connector was enclosed within the QL. However, on an external port, the female should be on the machine as it is much more durable.

I have been trying to get a Sam Coupe for development work for a good while now - without success. The last one I bid on went for £720.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Peter wrote:If you change it anyway, I'd like to remind of the possibility to power the dongle from the 5V of the corresponding Q68 SER handshake lines.
As the Q68 comes, the resistors on the Q68 PCB protecting those lines are too large, but they can be changed by an average tinkerer.
This solution would be nicer than an extra power supply.
That would work on the Q68, but it wouldn't work on most PCs and generic serial interfaces, so I have to provide USB power anyway.

However... I will provide the lines so the option remains open to people.They can be wired in with two 0 ohm resistors or solder bridges. .

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

As an update, here's where we're at:

Nasta didn't like the way the DRAM refresh timing system was triggered. There was the theoretical possibility of a race condition. Also, the system was quite tightly tied to one particular type and layout of memory so it wan't very suited to plans for future expansion ;)

So he's changed a couple of things and revised the programmable logic, and we'll have new PCBs in ten days or so :)

I'm sorry, I know it means a delay of ten days or so. However, it also gives us a path into a future card with "interesting" enhancements. As in you'd regret buying a GC or SGC clone ;)

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Observation: It's much harder to edit an existing PCB due to parts changes than to just create a new one from scratch.

jivrt
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by jivrt »

Dave:

I've read most of your posts and I want to congratulate for your hard work for tne QL community.

I'm interested in the Minerva Rom card and the buck regulator. My psu is an original one and it sounds like its working too hard.

I have my BBQL since 1985 and it works fine. If I open it to install the buck regulator will I terminate my keyboard membrane?
The minerva rom goes on the back extension port?

And by the way, do you ship to Chile? There is a TLC with USA (commerce treaty) (we have a similar flag to texas)

Best Regards

Juan

Original BBQL 1985, bought my me in Spain with JM ROM
Tetroid TDI with CF card, ROM switcher, power regulator, Gold Card clone and Backplane
Uses: teaching my children to program
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Hi Juan,

I have a couple of membranes left. I'll have the rest of the items ready soonish. I'll only make them available once everything is ready.

Yes, I'll ship to Chile.

The DMV here accidentally used the Chile flag instead of the Texas flag for many years without noticing.

jivrt
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by jivrt »

The DMV here accidentally used the Chile flag instead of the Texas flag for many years without noticing.
Hahaha That's hilarious , I had never heard that before. My primary school at a baptist school is still alive and lives near San Antonio.

Well, you can throw in a membrane just in case, with the rom and buck regulator. And in the future a super ram board and backplane as I will be having a tetroid disk interface too and may want to use it with the super ram board (or a gold card clone if the super ram board never sees the light)

When you are ready just mail me to jivrt@yahoo.com

Best regards

Juan

Original BBQL 1985, bought my me in Spain with JM ROM
Tetroid TDI with CF card, ROM switcher, power regulator, Gold Card clone and Backplane
Uses: teaching my children to program
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

We're just doing one last respin of the PCB for production, then the 4MB board will be ready.