Magnentic Scrolls tapes rescued

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: Magnentic Scrolls tapes rescued

Post by Dave »

In some cultures, the use of quotes in the way they were used reads as extreme sarcasm. I can see that it wasn't intended as sarcasm but as clarification and explanation, but I can also see how if someone took it as sarcasm they might be very offended at what they saw as your superiority and preachiness. Things you never intended.

We're a very diverse bunch. Sometimes unintended trip-ups like this will happen.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Dave wrote:In some cultures, the use of quotes in the way they were used reads as extreme sarcasm. I can see that it wasn't intended as sarcasm but as clarification and explanation, but I can also see how if someone took it as sarcasm they might be very offended at what they saw as your superiority and preachiness. Things you never intended.

We're a very diverse bunch. Sometimes unintended trip-ups like this will happen.
Absolutely.

I asked Ralf about his reasons and I don't think it was targetted at one particular person, rather a more general thing.

Must admit, I've often found over the years on the QL scene that to get a straight answer it helps to introduce a deliberate mistake into your question - QL users (and it's true on other forums to varying extent, probably human nature) tend to be readier to reply if they can correct a mistake and/or put someone down. In other words, people can be readier to find fault than to share information (and before anyone jumps to a conclusion, definitely not aimed at anyone in this conversation about the Magnetic Scrolls tapes).

In my case, on this occasion (my question about CHAN_F), the error in my question was accidental and the reply genuinely helpful from Marcel as always, but it doesn't always work like that, unfortunately.

(I will now go to put my suit of armour on before I get roasted over this opinion).

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Must admit, I've often found over the years on the QL scene that to get a straight answer it helps to introduce a deliberate mistake into your question
Heh not just the QL scene, to upstream code to linux its better to put a deliberate silly mistake than no mistakes, people feel happy if they correct the silly mistake instead of nit picking the variable names to infinity.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I did an experiment of putting a couple of dud microdrive cartridges in my reflow oven and set them to bake at 75C for 2 hrs.

They did read!

...---===* The more you know!

[Edited, because "back" is not the same as "bake"

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Dave,
bake them hotter, they might read even better!

Tobias

(Who has some doubts that baking does help anything except maybe removing residual moisture which could only have got there in the first place if stored in a very damp place.)
Here is an explanation that sounds credible to me: http://audio-restoration.com/baking.php and even Wikipedia seems to know about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sticky-shed_syndrome

Apparently, the treatment restores the mechanical properties of the tape, make it easier to reel on and off, but does nothing to the magnetic properties.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Here in Texas, close to the Gulf Coast, typical humidity is >65%. Some microdrives get kind of "lumpy" and don't turn smoothly - there are fluctuations in the friction. Also, the capstan sometimes slips and picks up magnetic material. I know this is what is happening as I can measure the amps drawn by the motor and the current increases and decreases.

It seems removing the moisture changes that behavior, at least for me with two cartridges. I was willing to sacrifice them. I often have to bake components to prevent them being dam,aged during reflow if their packaging has been open for more than a few hours, but I bake components at 75C or 95C, depending on the type of component.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Something like this always happens! ;-)

https://xkcd.com/386/

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

XorA wrote:
Must admit, I've often found over the years on the QL scene that to get a straight answer it helps to introduce a deliberate mistake into your question
Heh not just the QL scene, to upstream code to linux its better to put a deliberate silly mistake than no mistakes, people feel happy if they correct the silly mistake instead of nit picking the variable names to infinity.
I discovered this a long time ago in my working career - the best memo or presentation would not survive the "find fault" brigade unless you gave them something to moan about to distract them from the real substance of the topic. Oneupmanship is human nature and severely p*es off and reduces morale among colleagues.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

NormanDunbar wrote:Something like this always happens! ;-)
https://xkcd.com/386/
Sums it up Norman! :D

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Dave wrote:I did an experiment of putting a couple of dud microdrive cartridges in my reflow oven and set them to bake at 75C for 2 hrs.

They did read!

...---===* The more you know!

[Edited, because "back" is not the same as "bake"
Nice one, though I'm surprised 75C didn't do more damage to the plastic case etc than it cured in terms of moisture ingress or restoring mechanical properties.