Printing from, e.g., Quill "Print"

A place to discuss general QL issues.
oddsbodkins
ROM Dongle

Printing from, e.g., Quill "Print"

Post by oddsbodkins »

Throwing myself on the mercy of the forums: Would someone please point me to reference material on using the Print command in, say, the Psion or Xchange Four programs: "Print" > "current document" > "whole" > "to printer" > sits & stares or even locks up. A "Hello World" type basic code produces individual characters on the (dot matrix) printer, so there's a connection. Preferably print from Quill & c. to the printer, rather than steps of interpolation.

SGC, 250 HDD, 4 x 3.5", minitower, Dad's old machine. Xchange 3.90I. Long live the green, red, black and white!

This could save ages of finding then winnowing hundreds of pages.

Dave tells me Rich has done work on such matters.

Doug LaVerne 37830 USA
QL since 90s

RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: Printing from, e.g., Quill "Print"

Post by RWAP »

If you are printing from within Xchange - check which device is set as the default - from the main Xchange Menu - F3 S D

You need to have a printer driver in that device (filename is xchange_dat).

You can set up the default printer parameters for that default driver using chooseprinter_bas or pedit_bas

oddsbodkins
ROM Dongle

Post by oddsbodkins »

RWAP wrote:If you are printing from within Xchange - check which device is set as the default - from the main Xchange Menu - F3 S D

You need to have a printer driver in that device (filename is xchange_dat).

You can set up the default printer parameters for that default driver using chooseprinter_bas or pedit_bas
++++++++++++++++++
It looks like I need to find specifics for Panasonic KX-P1124; pedit_bas not surprisingly hs no such driver to install. The online manual for 1124 is 180 pages...

Thanks.

oddsbodkins
ROM Dongle

Post by oddsbodkins »

Made one more effort: detached the Centronix interface from the printer, hooked up the parallel cable, finally saw "set to PAR or non-standard" in Pedit, and made the final guess: DEFAULT and OTHER don't work as drivers; try first EPSON FX80. Worked. Or at least printed a simple document, JABBERWHACKEY, from Xchange/Quill OK. (That is the MAD Magazine spoof of Carroll/Dodson's "Jabberwockey").

Thanks again.

Doug LaVerne 37830 USA
QLL since 90s