Rubber hardware

A place to discuss general QL issues.
dex
Gold Card

Rubber hardware

Post by dex »

I have found an old QL user here in Czech Republic, still using QL since the 80's.
He is able to repair microdrive cartridge felt pads (probably using different technology than RWAP).
But this is nothing new.
He also found black plastic boxes suitable to store 2x6 cartridges, I have no photo of them.
Now he is testing diamant paste for brushing and cleaning of microdrive reading heads.
felt pads, repaired (rear) and original (front)
felt pads, repaired (rear) and original (front)
More, he now had experiments with rubber and is able to produce new microdrive rollers, which improves reading of cartridges (cartridge previously nonreadable can be read with new roller, in many cases).
microdrive roller
microdrive roller
Experimenting with rubber, he also made new rubber standing feet for QL.
He is able to send the first production feets and rollers, if someone is interested.
rubber feets
rubber feets
Next, he performed some measurement on original QL Network cable, with these results:
core resistance 310 mOhm,
shielding resistance 140 mOhm,
cable inductance about 500nH,
cable capacity 830 pF,
which gives the result of cable impedance about 25 Ohm. But this result seems to show that the cable is not adjusted properly for the network, probably does not matter with short cable, probably longer cable has to be different type, but which one?
Anyone can comment or confirm?

He also felt that he needs to produce new microdrive stickers with Sinclair label, or floppy disk stickers with Sinclair label (means, not only printing, but also cutting by professionals).
But, personally I have some original microdrive stickers so I dont need replacement for them, but maybe floppy disk stickers will be more interesting.
Anyone is interessed in this?

RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: Rubber hardware

Post by RWAP »

I would definitely be interested in some new microdrive rollers, microdrive stickers and even the felt pad repairs.

The felt pad repairs is extremely hit or miss I have found - the main problem is when the old pads disintegrate, they tend to leave residue on the tape, which then gets inside the microdrive cartridge and jam up the workings.

However, for microdrive stickers, they are desparately needed - most of the old ones are no longer sticky now and have to be glued in place.

dex
Gold Card

Re: Rubber hardware

Post by dex »

I think, that you can contact him personally.
His e-mail is louis (a) seidelmann.cz