dex
Gold Card

WIN extensions

Post by dex »

On my QubIDE, I have noticed, that
* 1) in DIR, numbers of sectors are negative (greater than 32767),
* 2) in DIR, the arrow mark ( -> ) for hard directories is missing,
* 3) there is no WIN2 command.

I have found, that all these issues were targeted by WIN_REXT extension for original Miracle harddisk.
As Tony Tebby seems to use system clean programming and the extension is probably hardware independent and probably will run on QubIDE (am I wrong?), then:

1) will it really solve these issues with QubIDE, or may I search for something else?
2) where can I get it?
I have not found it on Dilwyn Jones archive, nor using Google.

Martin_Head
Aurora

Re: WIN extensions

Post by Martin_Head »

I have not used a QubIDE for many years. But a bit more information might help.

Is this something that worked before, but has now stopped? Or is this a new set up?

Is this one of the original QubIDE's, or a newer one?
(There was a Partition & Utility disk for the original one, have you got that? But I don't know if it would help)

Is the QubIDE the only interface connected to the QL, or is there a Trump/Gold card ?
(When I developed my floppy disk image program, I noticed something similar to *2 above when used on Qemulator, emulating a basic QL without a level 2 directory device driver)

Martin Head

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Gents,
The '->' is nowhere in a "standard" QL and also not generated by the device driver. It is actually (on the Black Box) generated by the TK2 DIR command. Apparently, TK2 somehow detects whether the device driver in question is at least Level 2, and if yes, generates a '->' for files that have a file type of 255 (i.e. directories).

How exactly TK2 would determine that a device has a level 2 device driver, is beyond my knowledge, atm. There are quite a number of ways it could possibly do that. It could be dependant on
  • Load order (device driver or TK2 is initialized first)
  • TK2 version (maybe only specific TK2 versions support that?)
  • support for the QDOS/TK2 "extended information trap" (trap #3, D0=$4F) or not for that driver
  • format and size of the device driver header
This might be worth a bit of investigation....

SMSQ/E apparently behaves differently here and assumes that all of its directory device drivers are at least Level 2 (I have seen drivers that display no '->' on QDOS+TK2, but do on SMSQ/E)

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

In Norman's DJToolkit, his LEVEL2 extension (which checks for Level 2 filing systems) simply calls the IOF_XINF (get extended information, trap #3 with d0=$4F or dec. 79) and if this returns an error assumes that it is a level 1 (i.e. no hard directories) filing system.

I've not looked at the extension in detail (just returned from hospital after eye surgery so don't want to spend too long on computer to irritate the eye), but knowing Norman it'll be spot on!

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Get well soon!! 8-)

dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

This is new QubIDE from José Lenardo (not pass-through version).
With Toolkit 2.20, it shown no ->.

My SuperGoldCard ROM 2.49 (does not report its version of Toolkit) shows -> on flp_ (even without SMSQ), but on QubIDE DIR over Q-Lan (DIR n1_win1_), shows no ->.

As it is not pass-through version of QubIDE, I can't connect it directly to SGC machine.
Possibly the QubIDE/Rebel driver is not complete Leve2?

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

To get the arrows, I had to use a TK2, which I loaded from the boot. It might of been the later trump card one.

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

I've no experience of the new QubIDE clones, so I may not be able to help much more.
dex wrote:This is new QubIDE from José Lenardo (not pass-through version).
With Toolkit 2.20, it shown no ->.

As it is not pass-through version of QubIDE, I can't connect it directly to SGC machine.
Possibly the QubIDE/Rebel driver is not complete Leve2?
Possibly a silly question, But you don't need to type TK2_EXT to start Toolkit 2 do you?

Martin Head

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Martin_Head wrote:I've no experience of the new QubIDE clones, so I may not be able to help much more.
The 'new' shouldn't matter much here. The re-make uses the exact same driver as the original.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

Martin_Head wrote:But you don't need to type TK2_EXT to start Toolkit 2 do you?
With ROM based Supertoolkit 2.20, no TK2_EXT is required, it is activated automagically.
Toolkit on Super Gold Card requires TK2_EXT.
I have also tried disk-loaded 2.12 "Magnetic Eprom" version (on Dilwyn's site it is incorrectly described as 2.20 version).