QL Workshop in Manchester

A place to discuss general QL issues.
dilwyn
Mr QL

QL Workshop in Manchester

Post by dilwyn »

Having a great time at the QL workshop in Manchester this weekend. We're here today (Saturday) and tomorrow (Sunday).

Plenty of computers of all types, all with some QL connection or other. Quite a few black box QLs, Pandoras, PCs, Macs and even Raspberry Pis running both uQLx and SMSQmulator emulators (thanks to John Southern).

This time round, we've set up tables in a 'U' shape so that we are all facing each other and so can talk to anyone without getting up!

Keith has set up a mobile internet connection for us. All in all, although we are fairly small in number there is a high level of activity here. All QL users are welcome to join us, not just Quanta members. Details of where we are on the Quanta website http://www.quanta.org.uk.

Here's a couple of pictures so far:
mr4.jpg
mr3.jpg

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: QL Workshop in Manchester

Post by vanpeebles »

Good report :) I was hoping to go on Saturday but had to cancel as car failed MOT. I'm currently knee deep in piles of rust on the drive :(

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

And reading QL Forum postings while knee deep in rust on your drive, that's dedication for you :twisted:

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Here are some more pictures from today's QL workshop. Although we aren't large in numbers here, it's been a bit of a job keeping up with everything that's been happening!

John Southern has been demonstrating QL emulators running on Raspberry Pi, and David Buckley has successfully got SMSQmulator running in Java 8 on his Raspberry Pi. The second board (on the right of the picture) is a Propellor board - you may recall some time ago that someone had implemented a QL system on a board using one of the Propellor microcontrollers - see https://dilwyn2.wordpress.com/2014/02/18/propeller-ql/
mr10.jpg
Here's a screen picture of SMSQmulator running on David's Raspberry Pi:
mr11.jpg
John gave a very interesting demonstration of uQLx running a SuperBASIC program which used the ptyc device on that emulator accessing a website to check weather data - a few lines of SuperBASIC told us what the weather was like outside! Fortunately, we had a projector and screen on hand to see the display so that we didn't all have to crowd around to see the demo.
mr13.jpg
Here we see Alex Wells (right) discussing the weather outside courtesy of a few lines of SuperBASIC 8-)
mr14.jpg

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

The Raspi is around 25€ - That's way cheaper than any glass window you can buy to check the weather outside :D

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Some good pics there and info. Cheers for the updates :)

Tarragon
ROM Dongle

Post by Tarragon »

I had better explain for the Raspberry Pi B version 1 (256MB) SMSQMulator is too slow (mainly due to memory).
Pi B version 2 (512MB) or B+ (512MB) SMSQMulator runs on Java 6 but does sort of max out the CPU

Pi 2 B+ (1GB) SMSQmulator Java 8 is perfect.

All the Pi's run Tobias' uQLX for ARM nicely.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I'm sure there's a joke there about all the pi's. :lol:

jose_leandro
ROM Dongle

Post by jose_leandro »

Hi

Nice photos :-)

It's good to see people in this kind of events