Failed Windows 10

A place to discuss general QL issues.
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Failed Windows 10

Post by vanpeebles »

dilwyn wrote: so it's comforting to know the QL community are no less friends with me than ever before.
You are one of us and will always be welcome here :)

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

vanpeebles wrote:You are one of us and will always be welcome here :)
Hear, hear!

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

@ Dilwyn

Don't despair, members here very much appreciate everything you do for the QL scene.

I have Windows 7 on a laptop, but am not interested in updating to Windows 10 at the moment. As is normal with a Windows release, it is best to wait for Microsoft to try to fix the released version(s) as they have, as normal, not managed to do this before release.

Myself, for my day to day use, I normally use a computer that runs Linux.

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Just a small hint once you have installed Win10 on a machine one, you can then directly goto Windows 10 clean install without upgrade as MS already has logged your machine details.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to- ... indows-10/

This could save you hours of messing about!

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Well, the PC has been factory reset to Windows 7 and software (QL and Windows) is mostly reinstalled from backups and in some cases fresh installs. I'm not sure whether to try again with Windows 10 immediately, or put it off for a little while as the updates should be free until sometime in 2016, in the hope that M$ will have improved things for upgraders a bit later in the year. I'm taking a bit of a break from QL programming at the moment to get my batteries recharged for a little while, and to try to catch up with all the little jobs and website updates which have built up this year while I've had so much on my plate.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Good to hear it! :) My personal preference when I upgrade PC's or the OS is that I always fit a new hard drive and keep my old one as a back up. You could fit a fancy ssd, image your windows to that and then try an upgrade. If it does fall over you can just plug your old drive back in. I do end up with loads of hard drives full of old stuff though :D

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Thanks, Dilwyn, for the warning about windows 10 : I appreciate that Microsoft are working hard trying to get a universal operating system, but I just wish they would not infiltrate my PC every few minutes to try to get me onto W10. I had a bad time when XP was abandoned, and would have scrapped the PC had not 8.1 arrived just in time. When you take a look at the horrible mess of modern computer codes, it is no wonder there are such consequences as you describe. How anyone can see clearly at all is amazing...
Luckily we still have our working QLs to fall back on when the PCs refuse to cooperate.
The TCP/IP threads offer some hope for the QL community.
I hope the future looks kindly upon you,
Best wishes,
Steve Poole.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Dilwyn,

Have you changed your image/avatar? You look a little greyscale tonight!

I'd leave windows 7 for the rest of eternity if I was you. It works, and as I've said before, it really was the best version of windows ever - even I can use it happily,

Take care.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

stevepoole wrote:Thanks, Dilwyn, for the warning about windows 10 : I appreciate that Microsoft are working hard trying to get a universal operating system, but I just wish they would not infiltrate my PC every few minutes to try to get me onto W10.
Steve Poole.
Well, I still intend to go the W10 route eventually.
My son got it working first time on his laptop, a few weeks ago, tonight he's updating his self-built PC to W10. Wisely, he saw the mess I got myself into and has made sure he has full backups etc etc. As I write this, he's a nervous wreck every time the PC beeps or restarts windows.
I'll wait to see if I've had to call the men in white coats to him before the morning... :!:

I think I've decided to wait on my W10 update for now - until my son is an expert... handy having a son with the initials I.T. isn't it?

I actually don't mean to berate W10 too much because if you believe what you read when it works it's very good. It's just because my QLing came to a crashing stop because of it :cry:

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

NormanDunbar wrote:Dilwyn,

Have you changed your image/avatar? You look a little greyscale tonight!
Yes. Sums up how "grey" I've been feeling lately. Anyway, should hurt your eyes a bit less than the old one :D