Failed Windows 10

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Paul
Gold Card

Re: Failed Windows 10

Post by Paul »

If his initials had been "E.T." he could put his glowing finger on the PC and everything would work fine :mrgreen:
I sometimes feel this is what is needed to get windows running.

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10, It was on there for 5 days. Three of which the laptop was not turned on.

When I tried to turn the laptop on, the battery was so flat, the computer would not start at all.

A quick google showed other people have problems with Windows 10 draining the battery when it's switched off.

When I connected the charger, and powered the laptop up. Messages came up about updates available for installing, And I'm not sure, but I think something about one of the local WiFi signals (I have not got WiFi).

From bits I've seen on the Internet, I got a sneaking suspicion that Windows 10 can turn you Laptop on in the night, connect to someone else's WiFi network, and not only download updates, but also use your computer as a file server to upload updates to other peoples computers. And there's not much you can do to stop it.

That was the end of Windows 10.

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Its easy to turn off the bittorrents update mode in Windows 10, just google for it.

Windows since Vista or 7 (can't remember which) has turned the machine on in middle of the night to do its updates. So its not a new feature at all. Its actually really useful when you live on the far end of ADSL possibility like me :-D