Blogtrottr

A place to discuss general QL issues.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Blogtrottr

Post by dilwyn »

I have been using Blogtrottr to have feeds of QL Forum delivered to my email inbox. Up until Sept 4th it all worked fine, then the feeds just stopped, although the Blogtrottr site is still there and still lets you log in, change settings etc.

Just wondering if any changes were made to QL Forum around then which stopped Blogtrottr being able to pick up the feeds?

I've added the email address concerned to my address book and white-listed it in case of spam filtering, etc.

Can anyone suggest another similar service perhaps?

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Blogtrottr

Post by vanpeebles »

I don't think there has been any updates or things like that?

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

Nope, we've not changed anything!

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Blogtrottr has the facility to accept a password and login where this is needed to access a feed, butin the past it's never been needed to derive a feed from QL Forum. Indeed, simple RSS in a browser seems to work without needing this.

If anyone else is using Blogtrottr successfully at the moment, please can you let me know as I'm mystified by what's going on. I can't do without my regular emailed dose of QL Forum!

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

That's strange. I'm sure a few other people use it too. I can't remember if Tim was one of them? I'll ask about :)

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

I havent had a squeak from Blogtrottr for nearly a week now. Not even my own posts get through. Just checking theres nothing going on here at QL Forum (Commissar van P)?
Blogtrottr has never been very regular at the best of times, and the ads are a pain when Im outside the comfort and control of Thunderbird.. Any recommendations for a better experience?

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi folks

Whilst I don't use Blogtrottr (nor other RSS feeders), I myself had noticed a change late last year with access to the Forum on my legacy Palm Pre3 smartphone - it had always rendered nicely before, but now can't access this site (plus a few others.)

At the time, I put it down to a possibly updated SHA-256 SSL cert, which I know my Palm struggles with.

Is that a possibility?

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

pjw wrote:I havent had a squeak from Blogtrottr for nearly a week now. Not even my own posts get through. Just checking theres nothing going on here at QL Forum (Commissar van P)?
Blogtrottr has never been very regular at the best of times, and the ads are a pain when Im outside the comfort and control of Thunderbird.. Any recommendations for a better experience?
Not that I know of, I'll ask Rob this evening. I don't believe anything has changed here recently :)

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

I think the problem must be with Blogtrottr as they havent replied to my request for a password reset after 24hours. My email account is ok.
The simplest solution for many of us might be if QL Forum had a Feed button somewhere that would provide a link to the feed URL. Its years since I signed up to Blogtrottr, so I no longer remember what I did. With an eye to the advice I suggest in my sig below, I prefer to move on anyway.
This is how far I got trying to get the RSS feed directly into Thunderbird:
On trying to add the QL Forum feed directly into Thunderbird
On trying to add the QL Forum feed directly into Thunderbird
Any ideas, anyone?

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Hi Per,

I checked the raw feed and the updated date looks ok to me. Seems to be the correct format.

I also installed a random feed reader onto my tablet, something called RSS Reader, and that had no trouble pulling down the feed.

I think perhaps Thunderbird doth complain too much! Thetes a new update to thunderbird today too, whether that helps or not.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.