QL 34th Anniversary new hardware.

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Szk
ROM Dongle

Re: QL 34th Anniversary new hardware.

Post by Szk »

Popcorn and fireworks ready for Wednesday Sir! ;)

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Drumroll.........

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

That feeling when you get out your PLCC-20 to DIP-20 adapter to program a GAL, and it's..... DEFECTIVE. And you look online, and you could have one tomorrow, but it'll be $150, plus $40 shipping. Or you could order one from China, but it'll be 21+ days.

So you buy a PCB printer CNC milling machine. And it comes, and you assemble it. Because you're happy to spend $250 to solve a $5 problem, just because you don't want to wait. Well, it does also give me the capability to quick prototype 2-layer PCBs. And it has an optional laser head, so I can also laser develop coated PCBs then etch them.

But yes, I built a robot, just so I could test things for you guys!
Attachments
IMG_1871 (1).jpg

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

That cost $250! I want one... :D

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Today was a deeply frustrating day, characterised by failed programing of a group of GALs. I have found the cause of the problem and ordered a part that should resolve it (and a few other parts that could resolve it in different ways too, just for thoroughness.)

Friday and Saturday morning are going to be VERY busy!

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

So Dave, did it all pan-out ready for announcement on Saturday night?

Unfortunately, I was late joining the on-line chat, so may have missed your next big thing :-)

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Yes. The announcement went smoothly.

Right now I'm assembling a test board to test a particular aspect of a behavior we're seeing.... Fun times.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I announced a new design 4MB RAM expansion with through connector for the BBQL. It achieves this by replacing the internal CPU with an external 68008FN10 with two extra address lines. Nasta designed the custom logic, which allows mirroring of most internal memory to provide a useful speed improvement. It requires Minerva. If you do not have Minerva, we will include it free.

It's just undergoing testing/revisions right now.

It will be £79. General availability around 4 weeks?

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Now that is COOOOL!

A new Dave/Nasta production - two of my favourite HW gurus! Can't wait to see the full specs.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I just want to mention how useful the miniplane has been in testing the 4MB RAM card. I have full access to all the J1 connector pins. I can put the logic analyser on any bus signal and not have to have clips all over the place!
IMG_1879.jpg
IMG_1879.jpg (60.6 KiB) Viewed 4326 times
Go easy! That's a very hacked around and twice rebuilt board - I used it to test the regulator to destruction. It actually prompted me to reposition C5, the 5v side electrolytic, to reduce its temperature. I figure we're on year 34 of using QLs, and this part will need a life in that same timescale. Getting it down from 60C to 40C changes the expected life from 3,000 hrs to 67,882 hours. Yes, they have calculators for that! Current temp is 52C for a life of 29,547 hrs.

On the production boards, the GALs will be socketed. The CPU probably will be too.