Accessing QUANTA software library

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
Simon_Carr
Brittle Membrane

Accessing QUANTA software library

Post by Simon_Carr »

This is a continuation of a thread started in the QUANTA section of the forum, but this seemed to be a better place for the thread to develop. For the original thread, see http://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=670

Okay, the distilled issue is this:
I have downloaded the full QUANTA library catalogue, and have been trying to access LG01, which provides a guide to the whole resource. I am now trying to use Qemulator for the Mac (full version) to look through the library;
Essentially, I am planning to place a copy of the resource on my new QL-SD card so I can access the whole lot from my QL, and actually use it, rather than the tinkering I have done so far. However, I would like to take a look through it first;
After some initial problems outlined in the other thread, I re-downloaded the QUANTA library guide from the website, and have been able to load the boot file.
I have modified line 1080 to suit accessing the virtual mdv1_ device in Qemulator
When I RUN the program, I get an error 'at line 1100;1 not found. Line 1100 is LBYTES device$ & 'data_bin', addr. I am assuming here that the program is unable to call the virtual microdrive.

I have gone no further, but I assume that once I have run this programme successfully once, I have to use REM commands for lines 1095, 1100 and 1105 to disable them, and then the program should work?

There is clearly something very fundamental that I am missing here, but despite a couple of hours last night and another hour this evening, I am making little progress.... HELP! :?

Unpacking a JS-ROM QL, with a QL-SD and SuperQBoard, and busily refelting millions of microdrives
Simon_Carr
Brittle Membrane

Re: Accessing QUANTA software library

Post by Simon_Carr »

UPDATE!

Not much progress, but having gone through umpteen permutations of what to do, I have made some progress by:

Starting an entirely new emulator;
LOADing the BOOT file from LG01/Quanta Library Guide
changing line 1080 to mdv1_
changing line 1100 to LBYTES device$ & 'data.bin', addr What I have done is replaced the underscore in the original program for a full stop.
doing a similar change to 1120 to change libguide_exe to libguide.exe

Now, when I RUN the program, I get a few lines of text that suggest that something is trying to load:
Database handler vectors v2.13
By D.W.Howells

and then another error: At line 1120 bad parameter.

Confused. HELP (he whimpers into his beer) :cry:

Unpacking a JS-ROM QL, with a QL-SD and SuperQBoard, and busily refelting millions of microdrives
Simon_Carr
Brittle Membrane

Post by Simon_Carr »

Oh yes, after this I did try to put REM statements to disable lines 1095, 1100 and 1105, and if I RUN this, all I get is At line 1120 bad parameter (not even the bit of title text I had previously!)

QUANTA holds its library secrets very tightly... :?:

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I think I have realised the problem....

It is one of the fundamental problems with QL downloads on the internet and has been covered on the forums several times (I was trying to find a suitable thread to point you to, but the forum keeps complaining that I have to wait between searches when clicking on NEXT to go to the next page of results :? )

The zip file has been zipped on the QL and needs to be unzipped from within the QL - if you have files such as data.bin, it means that you have unzipped the program in Windows.

That has two results:

a) The file extensions are not renamed to _bin / _exe which is what the program expects
b) The file header required for executable files (and some other specific QL file types) has been stripped off, resulting in the bad parameter at line 1120.

I do think it would help if Quanta offered a version of the library which has been prepared and zipped under Windows, so that it can be added direct as a folder to q-emulator.

If you own the registered version of q-emulator, you could attach the original zip file to slot 1 and it will work.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

There is a q-emulator version of QL Unzip set ready to work within the emulator - have a look at:

http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/arch/index.html

Look for QemuLator Unzip :D

Simon_Carr
Brittle Membrane

Post by Simon_Carr »

Thank you Rich! I had read something about issues with unzipping, and now it makes sense. I will attach the zip to Qemulator tomorrow, and see how I get on!

Simon_Carr
Brittle Membrane

Post by Simon_Carr »

RWAP wrote:There is a q-emulator version of QL Unzip set ready to work within the emulator - have a look at:

http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/arch/index.html

Look for QemuLator Unzip :D
Sadly (well, not really) I am a Mac user, and I think this only works on the windows version of Qemulator. I will see what I can do tomorrow...

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Before you go too far, I have just tried downloading it and cannot get it to work either. It gets past the problem line you mention for me (using Windows QemuLator) but stops when the main program tries to open the database.

You won't be able to use it attached to a QemuLator drive slot as a zip file, not because of what Rich says but because a zip file attached in this way is read only. Zipping the library guide in Windows won't work as the executable will lose its dataspace - usual problem. If I zip up a QemuLator folder n Windows, nobody else but QemuLator users will be able to use it.

So I unzipped it on a floppy disk, tried that, failed also. Then did the same thing in QPC2, that failed too, so I'm starting to think the zip file on Quanta website is damaged in some way.

It's been a VERY long day's work and I am so tired I am making more mistakes than progress so I'm not even going to try to look at it further tonight. Simon, if you'll PM me your email address I'll try to zip up a known working copy and email it to you as an attachment as a temporary measure.

Simon_Carr
Brittle Membrane

Post by Simon_Carr »

Dear Dilwyn,

I have just PM'd you, but thank you so much for having a look at this issue so late in the evening, after a busy working day.

In the meantime, I will take a look at ways around the problem of unzipping QL files for a Mac...

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Please find this poor quality video, on the MAC, using a windows zipped file, copying into a folder.

Might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxQnN7MzT7I

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/