QUANTA

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: QUANTA

Post by Dave »

I live in a foreign country, but if there's a practical way I can help in situations like this, let me know.

(Can't complain about other people not doing things unless I offer)...

Simon_Carr
Brittle Membrane

Post by Simon_Carr »

RWAP wrote:
Dave wrote:Quanta can easily assign people to cover other people when they're busy/distracted/vacationing.
Actually that is not as easy as you would think - the membership secretary is married to the chairman.

Dilwyn (the news editor) is also having trouble finding time at the moment (thoughts are with you and Ann).

That leaves 5 other committee members - some of whom have more modern IT skills than others.

The committee has been trying desperately to get new blood, new ideas and more skilled people involved in running Quanta, but there are never any volunteers!
To be fair, it is pretty easy to set up a shared email address (e.g. membership@quanta.org), which can be accessed by any member of the committee. Then, all you need to do is have a situation whereby if the membership secretary is unable to answer the email within a certain period (lets say 3 days), ANY committee member could then post a brief response to acknowledge the email and explain that the membership secretary is away. Or perhaps even have a 'stock' response email that can be sent out by any committee member? I do this all the time at work, for situations where it is critical that SOMEONE responds to an email promptly.

I'm not getting on my high horse about this, and I am happy to wait, but Dave is absolutely right: getting the simple things sorted, such as getting the website front page sorted (which has sort of happened), and offering a quick welcome to new members by email is essential in encouraging new blood into Quanta. Like Dave, let me get my feet under the table for a bit, show me why Quanta matters, and I would be happy to help in any way that I can!

Unpacking a JS-ROM QL, with a QL-SD and SuperQBoard, and busily refelting millions of microdrives
bobmc
ROM Dongle

Post by bobmc »

I agree, a simple 'Out of Office' is all that it takes.

After a couple of email conversations with the Treasurer (John), my situation has now been resolved. It turns out that the emails (including the Paypal notifications) were not getting through to him hence the reason that he didn't respond.

Like Simon, I want to get a feel for the group and then I also would be happy to help out.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Happy to hear that Bob :)

Simon_Carr
Brittle Membrane

Post by Simon_Carr »

bobmc wrote:I agree, a simple 'Out of Office' is all that it takes.

After a couple of email conversations with the Treasurer (John), my situation has now been resolved. It turns out that the emails (including the Paypal notifications) were not getting through to him hence the reason that he didn't respond.

Like Simon, I want to get a feel for the group and then I also would be happy to help out.
Glad you have heard something Bob; sadly, nothing has arrived in my email inbox from John... Hopefully he reads this forum!

Unpacking a JS-ROM QL, with a QL-SD and SuperQBoard, and busily refelting millions of microdrives
bobmc
ROM Dongle

Post by bobmc »

It might be worth emailing him again - I think the problem occured because he tried to forward his email. Now that it's been un-forwarded the emails are getting through.

I sounds as though any emails that were received while he was away were junked and deleted automatically!

Regards
Bob

Simon_Carr
Brittle Membrane

Post by Simon_Carr »

Thanks Bob, I will get back in touch again...

Simon_Carr
Brittle Membrane

Post by Simon_Carr »

Hmm.... no response yet.... beginning to get a little less sanguine about the whole thing....

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

I have raised peoples concerns/comments with the QUANTA committee, although making more work for myself anything addressed to the editor (editor@quanta.org.uk) will be considered for the magazine.

As some have already stated in the forum, we are always looking for new blood to volunteer to help with the administration and running of the organisation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
nikad
ROM Dongle

Post by nikad »

Hi All

We have had an issue where BT Internet (the treasurers ISP) has started to reject some emails. One of mine that was sent through the QUANTA server was not accepted because of an SPF setting I have on my domain (which helps prove emails come from my own email account).

I don't anticipate this is the same issue for everyone, but I do wonder if some other spam filter BT are using is causing this issue.

I am currently looking in to changing how our email is configured, but I don't have control of the DNS and we may need to select a new email provider.

I will try to post when the email issue has been resolved.

Cheers
Keith
QUANTA Webmaster

BTW if anyone has suggestions or wants to help with the website please contact me webmaster@quanta.org.uk, experience of wordpress would be an advantage but not a requirement.