Voltage Regulator update?

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
Kermit
ROM Dongle

Voltage Regulator update?

Post by Kermit »

Can I change the voltage regulator for a Traco one like the Spectrum?
I have seen old adverts in QL world for a switching device in 1988 that I guess is the Traco? Called a Q-Power in QL World.
If I can, is it the same part as the Spectrum one?

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Voltage Regulator update?

Post by tofro »

There are quite a few 7805 replacement voltage regulators in the market, Traco is one of them.

In case it's a drop-in replacement for a 7805, and matches the current rating, it should generally be usable.

I use one of those

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/3438675

and am happy.

In my experience, though, the 7805 in the QL box is not so heavily stressed as the one on a SuperQBoard.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Kermit
ROM Dongle

Post by Kermit »

OK Thanks, I have ordered some.
From what I remember seeing, isn't it just a case of unplugging one and replugging in the replacement?

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Right. You might need to remove the heatsink, depending on the exact size of your replacement.

Also, regard the pinout, and make very sure you replace the 7805 only, not the 7905...

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Kermit
ROM Dongle

Post by Kermit »

Got it. Pin out is OK. I've done it for species and zx81.
And I will only do the one bolted onto the heatsink and labelled 7805.
Cheers

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

It is funny that this question was raised and within minutes Tetroid had listed his own voltage regulator replacement on sellmyretro - https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/28469

I wonder how that compares.

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

...Someone please stop me - I seem to to be buying everything QL advertised on SMR these last few days...

I am beginning to understand what possesses my wife in her 'shopping frenzy' moods...

:-)

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Well, that's annoying as we did one that is/was about to launch in the next couple of weeks. :D

Hmmm. *grins*

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

I have a spare QL that has been pieced together (separate stripped motherboard, case, keyboard, etc). I could have probably gotten them all as one computer cheaper, but initially all I wanted was a case to play with molds and later grabbed a circuit board, etc. I think I have all the chips but haven't tried to get it up and running...plus I still have other plans for it and am waiting for Pi Zero 2's to become reasonably priced again. COVID delayed all those plans, i.e. mold making, other mods, etc...

I saw Joel's video where he didn't recommend Tetroid's power regulator. He recommends a TSR 2-2450 as he tested a TSR 1-2450 and compared it to Tetroid's and the TSR didn't cause any interference (though he recommended more amps). Anyone try that? I'm not ready to piece my spare QL together, but I can always be on the lookout for a bargain one if I know what to get (or the long shipping from AliExpress).

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The TSR-1-2450 is a 1 Amp power regulator, which not enough if you want to plug expansions in the QL.

The TSR-2-2450 is a 2 Amp power regulator, so should be more than the standard QL Regulator 7805 which some supply 1.5 Amp

I have a Tetroid Power Regulator works perfectly with Trump Card, Gold Card, Super Gold Card.

Regards,

Derek