QL Tinkering

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
Cristian
Aurora

Re: QL Tinkering

Post by Cristian »

qbits wrote: For the Intro page ‘M’ uses KEYROW for the Game Menu it uses INKEY$ does it work from the Game Menu.
I realized that I was testing on a non-english QL keyboard (italian layout), so the "M" key was in another place. I tried on a normal QWERTY QL and I had no problems :-)
qbits wrote: Line 404 – If F1 works usually
The F1 key engages an hyperspace jump to "Cursa". Then the "Approaching Cursa" sentence appears, and the QL freezes :?

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

For a replacement monitor have you read about using an normal vga tft monitor and a board like the gbs8220??

qbits
Trump Card

Post by qbits »

Cristian - thanks again, trying the code on an unregistered Qemulator had much the same result. However I did try running other elements of the code retrospectively and had some success so I think its possibly an issue with available memory.

vanpeebles - Monitors Yes I have checked various possibilities the one I favour most at the moment is using the SCART connector on a 21inch TV/Monitor. Just haven’t got around to buying the 390ohm resistors and wiring the thing up, but also slightly concerned over levels that might over stress either the Monitor or QL hardware. As for the JS video scalar based on a GBS8220 - looking around the costs involved might not be so different from buying a 2nd hand Monitor.

Galaxy AD2370
This has been an enjoyable challenge to my level of programming skill. I now feel the code with my latest efforts has arrived at a reasonable level of maturity. This encompasses slight enhancement to the graphics and the addition of a high score - League Table (I can tell you all wanted one). This has produced a few refinements to the code, which led to the need for a little restructuring. Not that it should make any noticeable difference to the general workings. So apart from a blunder on my part, the hope is that further beta testing not will reveal any significant bugs.

My suggestion is that running the code will require the processing speed of a modern computer, so using the QL2K or SMSQ emulators or a registered version of Q-emulator would be my choice. I have tried the other colour modes in SMSQ, the 8bit for the most part appears to be OK, but the 16bit messes up some of the graphics.

Among the first few lines of the code you will find the default QL Device ‘flp1_’ Change this if required.

I have also revamped the layout and contents to my explanatory pdf.

Enjoy!

Zip Files
QBAD2370v4DL01 Galaxy Game Prog
QBAD2370DLT League Table File
(this is loaded by Game Prog at start up and needs access form same start up device as Galaxy Game)

QBAD2370DLTP League Table Test Prog
QBAD2370DL_1 to 8 The Game Data files (generated by Prog - Save/Load to/from default device)

QBGT01 Investigation Progs 01
QBGT03 Investigation Progs 03

QL Preservation
Dilwyn and RWAP if you wish to add Galaxy AD2370 to your free download list please feel free to do so.
Attachments
QBGalaxyAD2370v4DL.pdf
(1.73 MiB) Downloaded 300 times
QBAD2370v4DL01.zip
(14.02 KiB) Downloaded 305 times

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

qbits wrote:Cristian - thanks again,
You're welcome!
qbits wrote: I think its possibly an issue with available memory.
For your information: I made the test on an expanded QL (896 Kb)
qbits wrote: using the SCART connector on a 21inch TV/Monitor. Just haven’t got around to buying the 390ohm resistors and wiring the thing up, but also slightly concerned over levels that might over stress either the Monitor or QL hardware.
You may find on the internet various professionally made QL-to-SCART cables. They are quite cheap and work very well, but be careful: you lose some columns on the left and right sides of the display.

qbits
Trump Card

Post by qbits »

QBITS
Hi all a bit late to wish you all happy a NEW YEAR, but hope you’re having a better start than we did what with all this flue about.

QBITS Exploring QL 3D Rotation Graphic
I guess as many others were, I was intrigued by the lure of 3D Graphics. I dabbled a bit, but to get any reasonable performance required direct machine calls and the like, a bit out of my league and understanding.

Anyway it seems another of my doodles is ready for judgment. This code has been developed using QL2K and SMSQ emulators running under Windows 7. There are four programs, the first is the initial trial of xyz rotation code. The second and third are the Wireframe programs with commands that allow manipulation of parameters controlling various aspects of movement, size and perspective. The fourth provides Node and Frame Data to configure three Objects, a Cube, a Hexagon shape and my attempt at a Space a Shuttle.

QB3D_Cube Basic code to rotate a Cube.
QB3D_Wire512 Program for standard QL 512x256 screens.
QB3D_Wire768 for the SMSQ 768x512 screen and 16 bit colour.
QB3D_Data1 Data coding for Cube, Hexagon, Shuttle

QBITS
Attachments
QB3D_Wire02.pdf
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 306 times
QB3D_Cube.zip
(6.37 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
QD3D_Wire.jpg
Last edited by qbits on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Excellent work, I love your posts/work, it's always top quality. You should do a printed annual of these PDFs :D

qbits
Trump Card

Post by qbits »

Thanks for the encouragement vanpeebles I try to please.
Actually computer programming be it basic is still an adventure for me.

QBITS 

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I've been reliving my childhood by watching all the re-runs of Knight Rider on tv, and that program could do some really cool Knight Rider style screens :)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Looks good, nice work Steve. Thanks for sharing your work.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

It looks good - there are several 3D drawing programs - a few on Dilwyn's site, but always room for one more :D