Some useful commands and info.

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Some useful commands and info.

Post by vanpeebles »

Just a quick post with some random info and commands that I'm learning as I go along and keep in a notebook. I might be wrong with some bits so please correct me.

dir devicename_ eg dir mdv1_ will give the file contents of microdrive 1.
lrun devicename_filename will load and run a program eg lrun mdv2_boot.

Format a disc with FORMAT device_discname

With a Toolkit 2 equipped device, toolkit 2(an extra set of commands) is enabled by typing TK2_EXT.

A very useful TK2 command is WCOPY devicename_ to devicename_. WCOPY flp1_ to flp2_ will copy all files from floppy drive 1 to floppy drive 2 with a prompt for All, Yes, No etc.

robheaton
Site Admin

Re: Some useful commands and info.

Post by robheaton »

Can the WCOPY command be used to copy an individual file?
Or is there a better command to use for this?

--------------------------------------
QL user for 7 days and counting!

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

WCOPY is part of the commands provided by Toolkit II and many of the disk interfaces.

WCOPY can of course be used to copy an individual file - eg. WCOPY mdv1_x, mdv2_ will copy all files which begin with x from mdv1_ to mdv2_.

eg

mdv1_xa
mdv1_Xavier_bas
mdv1_x_bas

You need to extend the wildcard if you get too many results, eg:
WCOPY mdv1_xavier,mdv2_

would only copy
mdv1_Xavier_bas

Note that the case in the copied filename will change to lower case xavier. If you want to retain the case, then you need to

WCOPY mdv1_Xavier,mdv2_Xavier

There is a slight bug when this is run on Q-emuLator for some reason, in that if the filename is mdv1_Xavier, then WCOPY fails!

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Another tip which can be very useful for copying microdrive cartridges, is if you have one of the Miracle Systems expansions (Trump Card, Gold Card or Super Gold Card), you can use the command

FORMAT ram1_mdv1

To make a fast copy of the cartridge in mdv1_
This will even copy corrupt and hidden sectors if possible.

If it works successfully, you will get 255/255 sectors (on Trump Card) or 256/256 sectors on Gold Card / Super Gold Card.

Any files with corruption have an asterisk * appended to their file name, so you can then try to do FORMAT ram2_mdv2

this may help you resurrect broken cartridges, as invariably the two microdrive units give different results.

This command is also included in the QJUMP RAM Disk - so far as I know, this was only supplied with QPAC2 although I am sure someone will say if it is included anywhere else.

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Doesn't the Sandy SuperQBoard have the QJump RAM disk built in? That's the disk interface I have on my own QL, although at the moment it's stuck behind a whole lot of hidden Christmas presents so I can't get the QL out to check whether the RAM disk is built in or whether it came with QRAM or something like that. However, I'm pretty sure that that it does have RAM disk functionality built into the interface's firmware.

Or I could just be imagining it!

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Sparrowhawk wrote:Doesn't the Sandy SuperQBoard have the QJump RAM disk built in? That's the disk interface I have on my own QL, although at the moment it's stuck behind a whole lot of hidden Christmas presents so I can't get the QL out to check whether the RAM disk is built in or whether it came with QRAM or something like that. However, I'm pretty sure that that it does have RAM disk functionality built into the interface's firmware.

Or I could just be imagining it!
Seriously sparrowhawk, get rid of those worthless xmas presents and get to something of real value, your QL :lol:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I missed the original response above - but you have to remember that there were quite a few different RAM disks created for the QL.

Only the one written by Tony Tebby seems to have the FORMAT ram1_mdv1 command - this is included with QRAM and the Miracle interfaces - I don't think it came with any others...

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

I have got two Miracle Floppy disk Interfaces both different from each both don't work unfortunately

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Mr_Navigator wrote:I have got two Miracle Floppy disk Interfaces both different from each both don't work unfortunately
Can you send a picture as they only made the Trump Card, Gold Card and Super Gold Card? Thinking about it you may have a Trump Card and a Trump Card 2.

There was also a tray interface at some stage, if this was ever sold - basically a Trump Card without any memory.

When you say they don't work - in what way? It could be the memory chips, ROM chip, or WD1772 controller chip depending on what the problems are (and what interface you have).

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

I see another Bog entry about read twice/write once coming up up, as you can see when I said Miracle Systems, I actually got the M right, but meaning Microperipherals instead.
Attachments
P1020799.png
P1020798.png