QPC1 in a DosBox on Android

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
78squirel78
ROM Dongle

QPC1 in a DosBox on Android

Post by 78squirel78 »

Hi,
i am a newbee on QL, if I consider that 30 years ago, it was a non accessible dream, and that today I will try to find a real one.
Nethertheless, I tried to run QPC1 in a dosbox on an Android Samsung Galaxy 10 inches tablet, and it came up !!!! with both screen configurations (2 or 3 areas)
Good news up to now.
I want to use SuperForth for QL, and here comes the problems (for me !!).

If some of you can give me some link(s) for a quick start about the use of QL concerning how to
"mount" drives, read and write to(from) them, I will be very happy.
I stuggle as there is so much informations about very different systems.
SuperForth is the only program I want to run (when you like Forth, you realize you got it under the skin, and it is too late afterwards), and of course save and retrieve my programs. But, in
between ......

Thank you for your help, and
Best regards from Paris !

Guy

PS: just for information and for "UnderTheSkinForthMadPeople", Jupiter Ace Forth runs under Android with "Hacker" keyboard and "MagicBox" as the DosBox (Both in the Playstore)

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: QPC1 in a DosBox on Android

Post by vanpeebles »

Polka on here, likes Forth a lot. Anything of use here?

http://qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3& ... ilit=forth

also Dilwyns website is worth a look too

http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/language/index.html

and welcome to the forum! :)

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Welcome to the forum - I guess you need to know how to get software onto QPC1 really - I use QPC2, but have never had QPC1, so can't help there....

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

I have only had QPC1 running on a 486 PC, it runs OK, but only emulates a standard QL: 512x256 4/8 colours. It does not have the DOS device to read DOS partitions. But it is worth looking at. I have an old 486 laptop, which I may put QPC1 on it.

With regards to Forth, there are many good implementations available on Dilwyn's Web Site. I like Laurence Reeves version, which is written in assembler and very small in size. But Brouhabouha Forth is the closest implementation to Forth and probably worth looking at.

In fact since all Forth application are free, except the Digital Precision QFORTH, but may well be. It is worth trying all version to see which is the best for you.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

RWAP wrote:Welcome to the forum - I guess you need to know how to get software onto QPC1 really - I use QPC2, but have never had QPC1, so can't help there....
I connected the PC serial ports up with a Null Modem lead and use SerNET to transfer files from other QL, QPC2, Q60 etc...

Otherwise it has to be QL formatted disks to transfer any files, which does not take too long on HD disks.

QPC1 used the DOS drive definitions for the hard drive images i.e.

C: c:\qxl.win
D: d:\qxl.win
etc...

It maybe just a matter of putting a QXL.WIN file in the root of the C: drive

I have Android Tablet, but I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and report back.

Regards,

Derek