Banner Information

A collection of QL services and websites.
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Banner Information

Post by 1024MAK »

Hmm, who let the admins play with the colour crayons again?

I see the banner has been transformed into a large advert.

Now although I fully support RWAP and the QL community. And I have bought many of the box sets (plus many other goodies, for both the QL and other Sinclair machines) he has made available for sale, I'm not at all sure the current forum banner is a wise thing to do.

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Banner Information

Post by vanpeebles »

We have done it a number of times to support various things in the QL community such as the QUANTA show and QLis30. Anyone who has a project that needs some publicity can ask, it's completely free :)

It's an advert, but it's a QL advert.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

QUANTA advertises the forum for free, so I thought using the forum to do the same thing for others would be a good thing :)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I never see the banner adverts, by getting the QL Forum by RSS.

I do not like this type of advertising.

But I guess the current banner advertising is like or lump it situation.

You could create an commercial area for potential supplier to post adverts.

Regards,

Derek
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Gents,

I'd really leave this decision to the forum owners - Their home, their castle, their wallpaper. Their decision. If you'd ask me: As long as it is QL-related, I'd vote "why not?".

What itches me a bit, though, is that when you click on the banner in order to find out more about the box set you are transferred into chat. I would actually know where to look, but new or unexperienced visitors might get lost.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Ah that should be fixed :) you must have clicked on it, in the time the picture was changed and the code was updated with the link.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

tofro wrote:Gents,
I'd really leave this decision to the forum owners - Their home, their castle, their wallpaper. Their decision. If you'd ask me: As long as it is QL-related, I'd vote "why not?".
Tobias
Fair comment - their crayons too, as Mark inferred.

To be serious though, the banner probably has a role for QL news headings if the admins have the time and inclination to keep it up to date. Can it only be a graphic such as animated GIF, or can the banner be text too? A text one would be quicker ot update I guess.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

To follow up my first reply, as an example, Quanta have a mini-workshop (no, vanpeebles, not working on Mini cars!) on Sunday June 26th 2016 in Manchester. The banner could be used ot advertise this kind of event too.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

It's just a png or animated gif. If anyone would like anything done they can always save the header and edit it or ask me to make one :)

I asked Rich if he would like a banner doing to celebrate the new release, as we had done in the past and I made that one. It costs nothing and there was nothing in return, so it's just a nice of announcing a show, a new release, maybe a new project or website?

From the very beginning we have been well supported and encouraged by the QL community, so it's a nice of showing some support in return. One the thing the QL has always had is a strong community spirit and I believe in that.

Just seen new post, yep we have had QUANTA banners in the past :) Hehe I could of brought some mini bits round for rebuilt :D

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Of course it is up to the owner/operator/administrator(s).

The main problem I have is that the current banner makes the forum look like it is part of the RWAP web site. This may confuse people who come across the forum. It's nice to get new members.

Can you alter it so that it includes an image representing the forum, then add some text maybe saying that QL Forum is happy to support RWAPs latest release.

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)